By BLAKE METCALF-HOLT
POLICE are investigating a suspicious fire which occurred at the old Moe Hospital on Wednesday, February 11.
Multiple calls were made to Triple Zero (000), and emergency services arrived at the long derelict building along Ollerton Avenue, Newborough at 2.49pm.
Firefighters found the structure involved in flames and quickly accessed the rear of the building, as they worked to extinguish the flames and make the scene safe.
No one was inside the building when firefighters entered the premise.
Residents from across the way, at the tenancy which was once the nurses’ quarters of the hospital, noted that squatters frequently circulate the abandoned area, with anti-social behaviour being commonplace there.
On what was a Total Fire Ban day, Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV), supported by local CFA, had the building under control within the hour.
A community smoke warning was issued for the area.
FRV did not report that asbestos or remnants of asbestos were present, however the age of the building points towards that.
The Asbestos Council of Victoria told the Express that the hospital had significant asbestos removed many years ago from the tunnels underneath the building, as well as some inside.
They were unable to comment if all of it was removed.

A portion of Ollerton Ave was blocked during the FRV and CFA operation, from the Narracan Drive traffic lights up to the Latrobe Valley Village aged care and retirement home.
At the aforementioned traffic lights, a car incident also occurred during the commotion of the fire.
A Honda sedan collided with the rear of a work vehicle, which only created more difficulties for police and other drivers along the much traversed road connecting Newborough and Moe.
Calls have been made from the community for years in relation to the old Moe Hospital following its closure in 1998.
The Liberal Kennett government closed the facility as well as the old Traralgon Hospital to make way for a more centralised health service, which is now Latrobe Regional Health.
The privately-owned building has been up for sale since September last year, with many suggesting that the 13,651-square-metre site be utilised either for public housing or for essential services such as the NDIS.
In February last year, seven people were arrested in relation to an extensive copper theft operation out of the derelict hospital, while in August 2024, police executed the seizure of 1310 cannabis plants in the same building.
ELSEWHERE, a grim discovery was made when a dead body was found in the Traralgon Central Business District (CBD) on Monday, February 9.
After enjoying ice creams together, a young family walked down Hotham Street to wash their hands at the public toilets standing in front of the multi-level carpark at around 3pm.
One child noticed blood coming from underneath one of the cubicles as they were moving on, only for the father, Nick MacDonald, to turn back and investigate.
“That’s when I knocked on the door or tried to open the door, and obviously he’s (the deceased) pressed against the door so it couldn’t have been opened,” he told the Express.

Another man who’d come along checked underneath to confirm that the body was lying inside.
“As soon as he looked under the door, he said ‘take your kids that way’,” Mr MacDonald said.
Police soon arrived at the scene, and are treating the death as non-suspicious, while a report is being prepared for the Coroner.
It is a suspected self-harm incident.
The Hotham St end of the carpark was closed for the duration of the police investigation.
Anyone who witnessed these incidents, has CCTV/dashcam footage, or with further information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report at: www.crimestoppers.com.au










