Latrobe City Council has heard an overwhelming show of support for plans to revitalise Moe’s town centre.
Eighteen speakers addressed the council in a packed Moe Town Hall on Wednesday night as part of a review of the project.
The majority of speakers, who had been part of previous community consultation for the Moe Activity Centre Plan, condemned the review and called on the council to resume the project.
Four speakers retained major concerns for parts of the plan. Former Moe and District Residents Association secretary Cheryl Wragg said, while the updated plans had addressed some of her initial concerns, the project failed to really improve Moe’s transport infrastructure.
“What can the council afford and what does the community need? Not want, but need?,” she told the meeting.
Other speakers either reiterated their support for the design, or recanted their previous objections, they said, as a result of further examination or simply to allow the project to move forward.
However among the plan’s supporters, many said they were still worried by a lack of parking in the design.
Committee for Moe president Manny Gelagotis said he had put aside his previous concerns about aspects of the plan.
“This will spark Moe’s resurgence and will give people the hope that they have a place in this city and I think we’re starving for that,” he told the meeting.
More in The Express Monday, 25 February.