By GREGOR MACTAGGART
The Bureau of Meteorology this afternoon issued a severe weather warning for heavy rainfall across West and South Gippsland Districts, including the Latrobe Valley.
A low pressure system will deepen off the Gippsland coast overnight, resulting in heavy rainfall and gusty winds over parts of South Gippsland.
Heavy rainfall which may lead to flash flooding is expected to develop late on Friday evening and continue during Saturday morning.
Widespread totals of 40-60mm are expected across the warning area, with isolated heavier falls of up to 100mm (mainly about higher peaks).
The heaviest falls are expected between midnight Friday and midday Saturday.
Heavy rain is expected to ease during Saturday afternoon, though light falls are likely to continue across the area.
Locations which may be affected include Morwell, Traralgon, Warragul, Moe, Yarram and Mt Baw Baw.
There were widespread falls of 50-150mm across the warning area on Wednesday night and Thursday morning, with isolated heavier totals of up to 250mm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Be aware – heat, fire or recent storms may make trees unstable and more likely to fall when it’s windy or wet.
* Check that loose items, such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured. Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines – always assume they are live.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks. Heavy rainfall may also increase the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay informed: Monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency website/app/hotline.
The severe weather warning comes as a major flood warning was issued for Traralgon Creek earlier today.
Major flooding may occur along the Traralgon Creek with forecast rainfall.
The Traralgon Creek at Traralgon is currently at 3.17 metres and falling.
The Traralgon Creek at Traralgon is expected to exceed the minor flood level (3.50 m) overnight Friday into Saturday.
The river level is expected to exceed the moderate flood level (4.00 m) early Saturday morning and may reach the major flood level (4.80 m) Saturday morning.
An evacuation now order was issued earlier this afternoon for people who live, work or are visiting the Traralgon Creek area.
A moderate flood warning remains for the Latrobe River.
Moderate flooding is occurring in the Latrobe River at Thoms Bridge around the record flood level.
Minor flooding has developed at Rosedale during Friday morning.
Since 9am Wednesday rainfall totals of 30 to 270 mm have been recorded across the Latrobe River catchment.
Around 20-40 mm of rainfall is forecast from late Friday and across most of Saturday, with higher totals up to 80 mm possible across the Strzelecki Ranges.
Latrobe River upstream of Yallourn:
Minor flooding is occurring along the Latrobe River upstream of Yallourn.
The Latrobe River at Willow Grove is currently at 4.23 metres and falling, with minor flooding. Renewed rises above the minor flood level are possible during Saturday with forecast rain.
The Moe River at Darnum is currently below the minor flood level and steady. Renewed rises above the minor flood level are possible during Saturday with forecast rain.
Minor flooding is occurring along the Tanjil River.
The Tanjil River at Tanjil Junction is currently around the minor flood level and falling. Renewed rises above the minor flood level are possible during Saturday with forecast rain.
The Tanjil River at Tanjil South is currently at 2.78 metres and falling, with minor flooding.
No data is currently available for the Morwell River at Boolarra, however the river level is likely to be below the minor flood level (2.60 m). Renewed rises above the minor flood level are possible on Saturday with forecast rain.
Latrobe River Yallourn to Traralgon Creek:
Moderate flooding is occurring along the Latrobe River Yallourn to Traralgon Creek.
The Latrobe River at Thoms Bridge is currently at 6.16 metres and falling, with moderate flooding. The Latrobe River at Thoms Bridge will remain above the moderate flood level (5.00 m) during Friday and into Saturday. Renewed rises below the major flood level are possible during Saturday with forecast rain.
Latrobe River downstream of Traralgon:
Minor flooding is occurring along the Latrobe River downstream of Traralgon.
The Latrobe River at Rosedale (Main Stream) is currently at 4.20 metres and rising, with minor flooding. The Latrobe River at Rosedale (Main Stream) will remain above the minor flood level (4.00 m) during Friday.
Flood Safety Advice:
SES advises that all community members should:
- Never walk, ride or drive through floodwater,
- Never allow children to play in floodwater,
- Stay away from waterways and stormwater drains during and after heavy rain,
- Keep well clear of fallen power lines
- Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks, and heavy rainfall increases the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
Current Emergency Information is available at http://emergency.vic.gov.au
For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
Current Road and Traffic Information is available at the VicRoads website: http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/
Latest River Heights:
|Location||Height of River (m)||Tendency||Date/Time of Observation|
|Latrobe River at Noojee||2.21||Falling||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Latrobe River at Willow Grove||4.23||Steady||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Tanjil River at Tanjil Junction||2.07||Falling||12:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Tanjil River at Tanjil South||2.75||Falling||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Moe River at Darnum||1.75||Steady||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Moe Drain at Trafalgar East||3.39||Falling||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Narracan Creek at Thorpdale||0.73||Steady||12:57 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Narracan Creek at Moe||0.78||Steady||12:11 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Latrobe River at Thoms Bridge||6.16||Falling||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Latrobe River at Rosedale (Main Stream)||4.20||Rising||01:15 PM FRI 11/06/21|
|Latrobe River at Kilmany||4.99||Steady||01:00 PM FRI 11/06/21|