Morwell bomb threat

POLICE were called to a residence on Vary Street, Morwell, on Thursday (January, 25) after reports of a suspicious device.

Scare: Vary Street residents in Morwell had quite the scare last week as Victoria Police’s Bomb Squad was called to deal with a suspicious device. Photograph: Latrobe Valley Incidents and Crime Activity/Facebook

The unidentified device was found by the Bomb Response Unit at around 9.45am.

The Bomb Response Unit remained on the scene until 7pm that night, ensuring the device and area were safe from harm.

Police are still investigating the circumstances of the incident.


Road fatality

A DRIVER has been killed in a major road incident in Carrajung Lower, halfway between Traralgon and Yarram on Tuesday, January 23.

Emergency services were called out to the scene after reports came in of a vehicle on fire on the Hyland Highway at around 2.51pm.

Police understand the car veered off the road and into a tree when the vehicle went up in flames.

Police are seeking witnesses and other drivers with dashcam video who can assist the investigation into the crash.


Tyers shed fire

LOCAL fire fighting first responders were called out to Kyandra Drive in Tyers after a shed was engulfed in flames on Sunday, January 21 at around 10.55pm.

An electrical fault is believed to have started a fire which ignited a large pile of firewood that was leaning against the shed in Tyers.

In the dark, the crews from Tyers, Yallourn North, Fire Rescue Victoria, Traralgon, Erica and Glengarry worked together to bring the fire under control.

Blaze: Multiple local Fire Brigades worked together to extinguish flames in Tyers. Photograph supplied

The owners of the property were not home at the time of the blaze.

Close residents reported seeing and smelling smoke in the air across town.

Gaining access to the shed was a task for the crew who were in full firefighting breathing apparatus. The crew fought the fire from both inside and outside the building.

Once the fire was extinguished, the Brigades were on deck for several hours to take care of hot spots.

Tyers Fire Brigade Captain, Ross Wisewould told CFA news that the crews fought hard to protect the assets in the shed and ensure the scene was safe after the fire was contained.

“The electrical fault started a fire inside the shed which ignited the large pile of firewood stacked against the wall on the outside,” he said.

“Firefighters worked on the fire for half an hour to bring it under control, however remained on scene until around 3am as there were still deep-seated fires within the firewood,” Captain Wisewould added.

“Utilising the thermal imaging camera, firefighters were able to identify where the deep-seated fires were and then separating the firewood to put them out.”

Victoria Police also attended the scene.

The Tyers Fire Brigade took to social media to thank the crews who assisted.

“Great team work and communication by all crews on the fireground and special thanks to the Yallourn North Fire Brigade Rehab team for looking after the health of all the firefighters on the fireground,” they said.