Dour day for Gippsland FC

Gippsland FC walked away from a disappointing weekend with only one victory to its name.

The under 18 team recorded a resounding win against Sandringham, but all other teams failed to fire and will have a hard week on the training track in an effort to atone.

After two successive wins Gippsland FC returned to the days of dominating possession but not converting on the scoreboard in its loss to Berwick FC.

Measured approach play was not matched by quality finishing, with the under 13s working hard in the final third of the pitch.

A 3-0 loss in no way reflected the general run of play, but Gippsland FC wasted too many chances and was punished by the home team.

The best performers for Gippsland were Oscar Plenkovich, Ryan Massaro, Kelsey Dal Pozzo, Harrison Meyer and keeper Ethan Farrel.

Gippsland FC was at home against Glen Eira which sat just below it on the table.

In an open game both teams played fast and entertaining football, with Gippsland opening the scoring through a Jarrod Ross-free kick.

However, Glen Eira soon equalised with scores locked at 1-1 at half-time.

The flood gates opened in the second half, Gippsland taking the lead through Connor Dastey, but again Glen Eira equalised immediately.

While Gippsland regained the lead through Blake Whykes, it was left to regret missing some clear chances to extend the lead.

In a disastrous final 15 minutes Glen Eira scored three goals to emerge 5-3 winners.

Gippsland faced a talented Glen Eira at the weekend.

Glen Eira took the lead in the first half and could have put the game away if not for some good goal keeping from Shem Murphy.

Gippsland scored its first goal with a Jack Walton-penalty.

However, the goal revived the opposition and they replied immediately.

Some fast scoring ensued but Gippsland was always on the back foot and ended up succumbing 5-3.

The goal scorers for the hosts were Walton (2) and Adonya Victor.

Gippsland returned to the winners’ list when it overcame Sandringham in a must-win match.

Coming off a disappointing loss to Berwick last week, Gippsland travelled to take on a home team full of confidence after defeating the league leaders in the previous round.

Sandringham started where it left off last week, pressing the Gippsland team at every opportunity and was rewarded with a goal in the eighth minute.

This seemed to rouse Gippsland, which took control across the park, dominating possession to create a number of great chances.

Chris Oulton pushed forward to win possession on the edge of the Sandringham box and equalised.

Nelson Tombra continued his fine return after injury to score in the 42nd minute.

Sandringham came out in the second half firing and showed why it has been successful over the past few weeks, almost scoring an equaliser in the opening minutes.

However, Gippsland again took control with an exemplary exhibition of one- and two-touch passing to leave Sandringham trailing in its wake.

Tombra, Keegan Grealy and Riley Winkleman-Atkinson all found the net in quick succession to put Gippsland 5-1 up with 25 minutes still on the clock.

Despite continuing to control most of the possession, Gippsland could not add to the scoreline and the hosts managed a late consolation goal to complete the 5-2 result.