IT’S about time the North Gippsland Football-Netball League had a round which saw the favourites win each game.

The first four weeks of the competition had us reviewing at least one eye-catching result each week.

But with only four games going ahead at the weekend, things were perhaps easier to predict.

One of the three games looked more likely to go either way than any other, but arguably you could say the favourite got the four points. The other three fixtures were very one-sided.


TTU 11.13 (79) def Yarram 5.12 (42)

THE fitter, more drilled team won.

It was a contested duel between two powerhouses, Traralgon Tyers United and Yarram in Round 5, but the Bombers finished stronger, winning 11.13 (79) to 5.12 (42).

Wind swirled around Tyers Recreation Reserve as the Bombers hosted the undefeated Demons, in what was always expected to be a tight battle.

The match began with a free-flowing nature, before either side began to close their doors.

Halfway through the first term, Yarram held a two-goal lead before the game took a contested turn.

TTU displayed their run and carry, while Yarram was more reserved, using their skills to slow the game down with steady progress up the field.

For the remaining 15 minutes or so in the first term, spectators were treated to end-to-end football, yet were starved of goals as both defences held firm, as Yarram took an 11-point lead into the first break.

As good as the game was in the early stages, the scoreboard was barely touched.

It took until the 21st minute of the second term for the next goal to go through, when Mitch Mustoe put the Bombers within a kick.

Yarram missed some chances, but remained a straight goal in the lead. However, everything was tied up soon after, when Mustoe scored his second in quick succession to level the scores.

Just when TTU thought they had a grip on the game, the wind shifted to the advantage of the Demons, with Josh Swift kicking two of his own in quick succession.

Swift was found in the forward 50 in almost identical plays, kicking truly to restore Yarram’s two-goal lead.

The Demons went into the main break up by a couple of goals, but nothing felt comfortable about the game whatsoever. The momentum was constantly shifting, and both sides were seeing their fair share of chances in front of the sticks.

I don’t know what TTU coach, Jack Brown told his troops at halftime, but whatever he said appeared to give them a boost.

The Bombers not only dominated possession after halftime, but just the complete flow of the game altogether.

In the first 20 minutes of the third term, TTU had kicked two goals, and found themselves back in the lead.

This time they made sure to hold off on any Yarram attack, disabling them from using their kick-mark strategy to any good effect by putting their runners behind the ball, and exploding when the opportunity arose.

The home side continued their run with a third straight goal to go eight points up. But as the third term came to a close, Yarram found a second wind.

The Demons’ found themselves inside 50 once again, the mark going the way of Swift who lined up for his third of the match.

Perhaps swaying the momentum of the game, Swift’s shot almost cleared the goal line, with the goal umpire deeming it to have been touched, much to the disappointment of the away fans.

The rushed behind would be Yarram’s only score of the quarter.

Confusion surrounded the players on the field, as Swift thought he had put Yarram within a kick. TTU captain Jye Neilson stood up to reassure Swift that he touched the ball, bringing the third quarter to an end with the Bombers ahead by seven points.

Yarram would find their momentum stunted from that point on, failing to find the big sticks for the entire second half as the home side ran away with it.

Yarram had their chances, but so did TTU, and the Bombers made the most of theirs.

Yarram kicked five behinds in the final term, all while TTU piled on 5.3 (33), to run away 37-point winners.

The Demons suffered their first loss of the season, seemingly running out of legs in the final quarter.

“It was a bit of a game of two halves for us,” TTU coach, Jack Brown said.

“In the second half we set ourselves to be more physical around the contest. We lifted our pressure, which allowed us to create more turnover opportunities.”

“Our spread from the contest, and ball movement forward improved, which allowed deeper entries and easier shots on goal.”

Hayden Willaton was a standout for TTU, as was Michael Jacobsen, Zach Kilgower, Guy Sinclair, Frazar Brouns and Beau White.

Chris Bruns, Liam Bentley, captain Griffin Underwood, Kayleb Pearce, Jake Mcfarland and Nick McKenzie were the brunt of the Demons’ force.

Yarram remain in the top five after suffering their first loss, while TTU move up into third, passing Woodside, who had the bye.


YYN 26.23 (179) def Glengarry 2.7 (19)

THE Jets flexed their muscles.

Yallourn Yallourn North proved they are still a force to be reckoned with, destroying Glengarry to the tune of 160 points, 26.23 (179) to 2.7 (19).

The home side improved from strength to strength in what was a complete four-quarter performance.

A massive opening term set the tone for the Jets, as they blazed away to a 40-point quarter time lead.

It was much the same ahead of halftime, with the Jets kicking 5.4 (34), all while keeping Glengarry goalless, seeing them score just four behinds.

With 70 points up their sleeve at halftime, the game was just about over, knowing that the Magpies had only once scored more than 70 points this season, coming in Round 1 against Gormandale.

Despite that piece of information, YYN put their opponents to the sword, shifting up into the next gear in the second half.

Glengarry managed to find their second, and final, major of the game, though it was no use.

The Jets kicked six third-quarter goals, sending the margin over 100 points, and to sour those playing in black and white, there was still another 30 minutes of football ahead of them.

Perhaps the most damaging of the lot, the Jets blazed away in the final term, having 18 scoring shots to one, outscoring Glengarry by 57 points.

YYN’s 8.10 (58) to one behind last quarter, saw them hold a 160-point margin as the final siren rang around George Bates Reserve.

With the number of opportunities they had, YYN may be bugged with themselves for not capitalising on their chances, but no doubt the result is a positive. Having 49 scoring shots to nine is a complete and utter demolition job.

The Jets were well jockeyed by Mitch Luck (five goals), Anthony Young, Dean Macdonald (six goals), Jai Massese, Ben Morrow and Lucas Fry. Also chipping in on the scoreboard was Lachlan Rees, kicking four majors.

Luke Healy, Oscar Bradford, Callum Mitchell, Liam Mitchell, Jordan Isiah Thomas and Thomas Harris were the best for the Magpies.

YYN will feel like they have been pointed in the right direction for their upcoming clash with Churchill. Last time those two sides played, they provided one of the most entertaining NGFNL finals in recent history.

Glengarry are set with the task of Cowwarr next week, and a potential points grab is on the cards for the Magpies.


Cowwarr 7.7 (49) def by Rosedale 15.12 (102)

IT was a tale of two halves in Cowwarr.

The Saints hosted Rosedale, as both teams entered the game hopeful of winning, but it was the visiting side who had the last laugh, victorious 15.12 (102) to 7.7 (49).

It was always going to be a back-and-forth battle between these two teams, but one had to get one over the other.

The home side started strongest, piling on five first-quarter goals to three, taking a two-goal lead into the first change.

The margin could have gone in a number of different ways, with both sides kicking four behinds. If any of those had have been goals, Rosedale could have hit the front, or the Saints could have put more pressure on in the form of a four or five-goal advantage.

With some work to do, the Blues piled on pressure of their own, ultimately breaking the home side. Rosedale gained a lot from this, kicking five goals to one in the second term.

With the lead now in their hands, they handed over the reins to Cowwarr to reply, and if they didn’t, the Blues would make sure to make them pay for it.

The start to the second half was a hot contest, and it showed on the scoreboard, with only three majors kicked throughout the 30-minute period.

Cowwarr managed to kick 1.3 (9), but they were outdone again by Rosedale, who improved on their halftime lead.

Rosedale kicked ahead with 2.2 (14), extending their lead to 20 points as the two sides headed into the final term.

It was all Rosedale as the game came to an end. Cowwarr remained on the same score as three quarter time, as the Blues did all the scoring.

From 20 points, the margin soon rose to 53, with Rosedale kicking 5.3 (33) in the last to claim their second win of the season.

Rosedale was led by Spencer (eight goals) and Harper Fox, Blake Safstrom, Declan Barnett, Riley Atlee and Riley Boyle.

Cowwarr were valiantly defeated, in their best was Alex Saunders, Ben Coffey, Jackson Davison, Tim Johnston, Jake Brown and Keenan Hughes.


Heyfield 24.18 (162) def Gormandale 0.2 (2)

A DAY out for the Kangaroos.

Heyfield had no problems against Gormandale, taking care of them 24.18 (162) to 0.2 (2).

The game was nearly over before it started for the Tigers, who didn’t even get on the scoreboard in the first quarter, all while Heyfield had eight chances slotting 4.4 (28).

Things went from bad to worse for Gormandale, as the Kangaroos only worked themselves further into the game, kicking another 7.4 (46) to a single behind.

Leading by 73 points at halftime, the game was already done, but Heyfield had more work to do.

They got better in the second half, starting with a seven-goal third quarter which saw the lead surpass the 100 mark, which was followed by a 6.7 (43) to one point final term, which closed the game out with Heyfield 160-point winners.

Thomas Marchesi was the best for the Kangaroos, and was well-assisted by Finn Stephenson (eight goals), Kyle Graham (three goals), Tyson Birss (three goals), Liam Heasley and Kail Hole. A number of young guns for Heyfield stepping up in the big win.

Jack Christian featured prominently up top for the Kangaroos, kicking four himself.

Aaron Pawel, Nick Millington, Hayden Richards, Chris Potalej and Zac Watson were best for the Tigers.

Heyfield will walk themselves into the bye for Round 6, while Gormandale will need to put their best foot forward against an ever-growing TTU side.


WOODSIDE, Sale City and Churchill had the bye.