Fire restrictions to begin

The Fire Danger Period and the Fire Prohibited Period for all of Gippsland will start from 1am on Monday, 8 December and will stay in place until 1 May, 2015.

CFA Assistant chief fire officer Trevor Owen said during the restrictive period no fires could be lit on private land without a permit.

“To protect community safety, permits are subject to stringent conditions and can be obtained from CFA or your local municipal fire prevention officer,” Mr Owen said.

“Permits for burning off in the Fire Protected Area, which is private property within 1.5kms of public land in the Baw Baw and Latrobe City shires (north of the Princes Highway only) and in Wellington and East Gippsland shires can be obtained from a Department of Environment and Primary Industries fire management officer at your local DEPI office. Otherwise, no fires are permitted to be lit in this area during the Fire Prohibited Period.”

DEPI regional man ager of fire and land Richard Teychenne said it was up to individuals to check fire danger ratings every day in summer.

“These help you know when the conditions are dangerous enough to enact your fire plan,” he said.

“Remember that if you can see smoke, you’re leaving it too late. A fire that is miles away could be at your door in minutes.”

To find out more about getting ready for the fire season visit or phone 1800 240 667.

A map showing fire restriction across Victoria and a ‘Can I or Can’t I?’ brochure is available at and is also available by phoning the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on 1800 240 667.

Fire restrictions from 8 December 2014 – 1 May 2015:

– A written permit is required to burn off grass, undergrowth, weeds or other vegetation. This permit is issued by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer or the CFA District Office. All burn-offs should be registered with the VicFire Burn-off notification line on 1800 668 511 as part of the permit conditions.

– Lighting a fire in the open without a permit is an offence and can bring a penalty of over $17,000 and/or 12 months imprisonment. Barbecues and fires for cooking and warmth do not require a permit, but must be lit in properly constructed fireplaces, and are not be used in strong winds, be clear of all flammable material for three metres from the outer perimeter and should be supervised at all times by a person who has the capacity and means to extinguish the fire.

– The use of: an incinerator, chainsaw or lawn mower, welding or grinding equipment, vehicles that come in contact with vegetation and machinery with an internal combustion/heat engine are permitted providing guidelines are followed.

– CFA’s On the Land: Agricultural Fire Management Guidelines provides practical fire management advice for people living and working on rural properties and is particularly useful to those new to farming. To view or download the guidelines, go to the CFA website.