The state education minister has hit back at Member for Morwell Russell Northe over his comments regarding the Morwell schools regeneration project.
Work is underway on the project which will involve the merger of Commercial Road Primary School, Tobruk Street Primary School and Morwell Primary School on one site at McDonald Street.
On Thursday, Mr Northe called on the government to publicly release plans for the project, saying members of the public had visited his office wanting to view plans and see what the completed project would include.
“It’s ridiculous that the government will not publicly release the plans for this project which will have an impact on not just the current school communities but many of our local families,” Mr Northe said.
“There had been previous discussions around the integration of pre-school services, the possibility of maternal health services and even some educational and training opportunities for parents.”
On Friday, a spokesperson for Education Minister James Merlino said Mr Northe “clearly doesn’t know what is happening in his own backyard”.
“If he wants to see the plans he should visit Morwell Primary School, they have been on display in the foyer for a number of months,” the spokesperson said.
A Department of Education and Training spokesperson said the plans were available for the public to view in each of the foyers of the current schools.
They said the new school would cater for up to 475 students and incorporate general learning areas, art and administration.
“The facilities will complement the existing games hall – which will be refurbished and extended – and the existing performing arts centre,” the spokesperson said.
They said the site’s master plan provided space in the future for a children’s services facility incorporating kindergarten, long day care facilities and associated consulting rooms.