Tigers tame Magpies

It was a close contest in light rain at Mirboo North, with the home side emerging the victors 10.6 (66) over Yinnar 8.6 (54) in Mid Gippsland football.

It was a close first quarter, but Mirboo North led 3.0 (18) to Yinnar 2.2 (14).

Yinnar opened the second quarter with two goals and looked like it might get a third, but the Tigers could only manage a point.

Yinnar scored another three times before Mirboo North fought back and kicked two goals and another two points.

Although the Magpies led by a goal at half time, Yinnar suffered injuries and with four men down, had no one on the bench in the second half.

At the start of the third quarter the Tigers had the ball in their forward half, but were struggling to convert until Josh Taylor kicked a goal, closely followed by two more Tiger goals.

Mirboo North’s defensive pressure kept Yinnar from getting the ball into its forward half, and Mirboo North led by eight points at three-quarter time.

While Yinnar fought hard in the last quarter, the Tigers were able to secure the win.

Mirboo North coach Troy Hamilton said Yinnar’s injuries helped his side, but Magpies coach Sam McCulloch was not making any excuses for his team.

“The game was there for us to win,” McCulloch said.

“We didn’t make the most of our opportunities and made some skill errors which definitely hurt us in the end.”

Hamilton said his whole side lifted in the second half and thought “Josh Taylor at half forward was a standout, and Kal Nash and Simon Busuttil kept ploughing away in the midfield while Donny Web won the ruck”.

Yallourn/Yallourn North v Morwell East

Morwell East led until the last quarter, when Yallourn/Yallourn North booted five goals to win 15.8 (98) to 13.5 (83).

The Hawks took the lead early, going into the first break 8.0 (48) to YYN 3.0 (18) and a win for Morwell East looked likely.

However, the Bombers fought back in the second half to bring the gap to 15 points at half time and just 11 at three quarter time.

An impressive last quarter performance allowed YYN to come back and take the lead, showing its desperation to win.

Trafalgar v Thorpdale

Trafalgar’s impressive ball movement helped it to a comfortable win over Thorpdale, 19.13 (127) to 5.3 (33). The Bloods’ onslaught it in the first quarter had them at six goals five points to Thorpdale’s one point at the first break.

Thorpdale’s struggle to score was aggravated by its inability to take marks in the forward 50.

As soon as Trafalgar players got their hands on the ball they easily found players in space and get it through the posts quickly.

Yarragon v Hill End

Hill End proved too strong for the wounded Yarragon side, winning 12.21 (93) to 6.0 (36).

Hill End got out to an early lead and was able to maintain it all day, despite inaccurate kicking.

Accuracy played a big part in the final score with Yarragon’s straight shooting a positive to be taken from its game, as well as its applied pressure. Yarragon had several players out with injuries and this hurt the side immensely, but Hill End performed strongly.

Newborough v Boolarra

Boolarra suffered a crushing loss to Newborough, 17.13 (115) to 3.7 (25). Boolarra coach Tony Giardina said his side caused turnovers which resulted in goals for Newborough.

“Once that had happened it was just a free flung game for Newborough,” Giardina said.

Giardina said his side lacked confidence which showed in its game.

Newborough’s win ensured the Bulldogs kept top spot.