Late charge for Dogs

Newborough came from behind to beat Hill End by just two points in round 11 of Mid Gippsland football, 9.9 (63) to 8.13 (61).

Hill End moved the ball better all day, until the Bulldogs came out hard in the last quarter, as predicted by Hillmen coach Josh Tymenson.

Some bad luck and wasted opportunities by the Hillmen meant the Bulldogs kicked a goal to hit the lead with five minutes to go.

Hill End then had the chance to score again with less than one minute to go, but the ball hit the post.

Tymenson said his boys were “shattered” to have put in the effort and “not be in front when it counts”.

“The boys took it hard,” Tymenson said.

“You should be happy with your efforts, but you can’t be satisfied…obviously you want to succeed.

“That’s what we wanted to do yesterday and obviously we didn’t get it, so we are disappointed.”

Thorpdale v Yallourn/Yallourn North

Yallourn/Yallourn North has come from behind at half time to beat the Blues 16.5 (101) to 9.11 (65).

Keeping the Bombers to just one goal and one point, the Blues led 57 to 45 at half time.

In the second half the Bombers took advantage of their possessions to score while Thorpdale’s inaccurate kicking meant it only scored seven behinds after half time.

Blues player Daniel Martin said nerves got the better of the side in the second half, and once YYN got in front the players let their heads down.

“I think it’s just the inexperience of the team…we’ve got a fairly young team,” Martin said.

“I think it’s just about being accountable when we’re behind and taking it up to other teams.”

YYN coach Tony Price said his side played well for three quarters, the second being a let-down and that all his players “lifted” after half time.

“All I said (to his players at half time) was we are the better side,” Price said.

“We just need to start playing like a good side… in the second half my boys just knuckled down and were first to the ball.

“We’re lucky that we’ve got a great leader in Owen Budge who just works his guts out continuously and he leads by example.”

Morwell East v Mirboo North

Scores were low in muddy conditions at Morwell East, with Mirboo North just doing enough to win 5.10 (40) over the Hawks 3.8 (26).

Both teams were goalless in the first half with the scores 6 to 5 Mirboo North’s way at half time, with Mirboo North being able to find some rhythm in the second half.

Yinnar v Boolarra

The Yinnar juggernaut continued after it defeated Boolarra 16. 4 (100) to 7.11 (53).

Yinnar led almost all day, but was in front by just 11 points at quarter time and by 33 at half time.

Although Yinnar kicked more goals in the third quarter, Boolarra got a lot of possessions and more inside 50s, but failed on its half forward line.

While Matt Dyer and a few others were Boolarra’s major ball getters, Yinnar had more contributors across the ground to help them to the win.

Trafalgar v Yarragon

Trafalgar stormed to victory over Yarragon on Sunday, to take home the Waterloo Cup 12.18 (90) to 3.2 (20).

Trafalgar got off to a solid start, and moved the ball better than Yarragon all match.

The pressure applied by both sides ensured it was a low scoring game for the first half.

The ball spent a lot of time in the Bloods’ forward half in the last quarter as Yarragon struggled to get it out of their 50, giving the Bloods repeated shots at goal.

Trafalgar coach Chris Kyriacou said his team needed to work on stoppages, and was slowly starting to adjust to playing in wet weather conditions.

“I thought our intensity and hardness at the ball was a little bit better this week,” Kyriacou said.

“We know where we’re at and we’re not entirely happy with where we’re at now.”

Shaun Kleeven was happy his side played better than the last time they encountered the Bloods, and believed the game was closer than the scoreboard indicated.