May day for Magpies

A SLOW starting Glengarry overcome a more fancied opponent to register its opening win of the season after an emotional week for the Magpies in North Gippsland football.

A minute silence was observed by both clubs prior to the opening bounce in a mark of respect following the passing of Glengarry life member Colin May, who had a 50-year affiliation with the club.

Cowwarr began brightly, kicking the opening five goals of the match and dominated the centre bounces through its midfield engine room.

Up forward Tim Johnston was plucking marks and looked dangerous as the key figure in the Saints’ forward line.

It was a lightning quick start to the contest by the visitors as they ran rampant with an undermanned Glengarry line-up left flat-footed.

Hard hitting at the ball and the man, Cowwarr inflicted a physical contest; their more mature and strong bodies brushing aside their opponent.

There had been little for the home side to cheer about before the Magpies broke the shackles when tall Aaron Winkler marked ahead of the siren to register the side’s second at the change, 2.2 (14) to 5.1 (31).

Mitch Sharp made it three on the run for Glengarry when he opened the scoring in the second.

It was quickly added to by Trevor May’s first for the day, which reeled the margin back to four.

The Saints’ backline was under siege as they struggled to clear centre-half-back and the Magpies’ forwards’ confidence grew.

New recruit Ross McDermott pestered the Saints’ back six to force an error and score.

McDermott’s resulting goal signalled a five goal turn around before Cowwarr landed its first major for the term with a kick after the siren.

Blows were traded in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Glengarry skipped away with a handy buffer following two straight kicks before Cowwarr responded through coach Luke Cooper.

Little separated the sides in the third term, with Glengarry’s Ryan Potter and Dean Brooks lifting in the middle of the ground while Winkler and McDermott continued to test the Cowwarr defence.

Two points favoured the Magpies at the final change before they saluted a club legend with a six goal to two final term to win, 16.11 (107) to 13.9 (87).

Colin’s son Trevor was among the Magpies’ best alongside Winkler and McDermott who booted seven majors.

Churchill v Gormandale

ONE straight kick separated Churchill from Gormandale at the long change, and the contest remained tight in the premiership term before the Cougars emerged four goal victors at the death.

The Cougars skipped away to an early lead, before they found themselves troubled by the lower ranked Tigers who stemmed the scoring.

The sides went blow for blow in the third term, with Churchill’s inaccuracy in front of goal leaving the door ajar for the visitors.

In a spirited final quarter effort, led by best on ground Churchill captain Chris Williams, the second placed Cougars put their foot down to coast home to victory, 11.18 (84) to 9.6 (60).

Heyfield v Bois/Briag

FOR the second week running reigning premiers Heyfield proved too classy, accounting for Boisdale/Briagolong by 63-points on the road.

The second quarter was telling as Kangaroos Mitch Dowse and power forward Jesse Bedggood stamped their authority over the Bombers’ backline.

The visitors slammed home seven goals to three to take a commanding 34-point lead into half-time.

While the Bombers kept with Heyfield on the scoreboard in the third term they could not match their intensity in the final quarter, where they went goalless as the ‘Roos kicked five.

Woodside v Sale City

TOP of the table Woodside claimed a third straight victory in one of their best season starts in memory.

Down by three points at the main change a spirited Woodside ran rampant in a dominating term, slamming home 6.4 (40) to 2.0 (12) as full forward Justin Staley, who finished the match with six majors, ran amok.

TTU v Rosedale

TRARALGON Tyers United fought out a classic battle befitting the Anzac spirit under lights on Thursday against Rosedale, to claim their second win of the season by 10 goals.

A large crowd joined Blues and Bomber players in a show of respect at dusk; the bugle played out the last post before two returned serviceman tossed the coin to start proceedings.

The Blues burst out of the blocks early through Jeremy Reid before Jack Wyhoon combined with Nic Rutter who snapped Rosedale’s second.

It was far from clinical football, with scruffy and physical passages of play common place.

Some 15 minutes into the opening term the Bombers managed their first major, followed by a second to draw scores level.

A long kick on the 50 metre arc by Bomber coach Matt Stolarczyk made it three before consecutive misses let the Blues off the hook ahead of the first siren.

The Bombers dominated around the ground and quickly blew the margin out to 45 points at the main change.

Rosedale came out firing in the second half, but could do little to eat into the Bombers’ margin, dropping their first match of the season 16.17 (113) to 7.8 (50).