Wildcats tame the Blues



Woodside added another top five scalp to its already impressive 2013 season tally when it came from behind to defeat Rosedale by seven points in its round six North Gippsland football match.

The two teams sat side-by-side on the premiership ladder and the contest was billed as an opportunity for the Wildcats to test their credentials against last year’s grand finalists.

The Blues started slowly but were first to flex their muscles on the scoreboard in a tight physical opening term, before Woodside replied with two goals.

Rosedale’s Jake Power kicked a major as the Blues continued to answer the visitor’s challenge and a mark and shot at goal after the quarter-time siren by Ryan Burns stretched the lead out to two goals.

Woodside’s best on field Rob Michaelides looked to spark the visitors in the opening minutes of the second term but his shot at goal drifted across the face.

Gerard Barnes then sprayed a shot at goals for Rosedale, but made up for the error when he chipped the ball to Burns who in turn found forward Brad Caldwell who finished off from inside 40 metres.

Woodside’s defenders worked hard but failed to stop Caldwell from marking and scoring his second in as many minutes.

Reuben Haustorfer got one back for Woodside as it cleared the ball from one end of the ground to the other.

As they had done all afternoon, Rosedale got the response to return the margin to three goals.

To shake things up Justin Staley was thrown into Woodside’s engine room; he combined with Adam Adamo and Brent Kerr to respond with the visitor’s second for the term.

Consecutive misses to Rosedale was followed by its seventh major and third for the term as the Blues extended the margin back to 18 points at the main change.

Rosedale coach Nick Leechino was not happy with what he saw early in the third quarter as the momentum began to swing the visitor’s way.

Staley’s snap from tight on the boundary line reeled the margin back to within a kick and Woodside appeared to have the upper hand.

Staley was leading the revival and Michaelides had shut down Blues’ livewire Chris Graham.

Damien and Brent Kerr demonstrated their value as Damien lead the way in the backline.

Michaelides’ second major for Woodside dragged the margin back to five points, Rosedale’s way, at the final change.

There was no stopping the momentum in the final term as the Wildcats threw everything at their fancied opponents.

Woodside kicked three goals to one to seal its fifth win of the season and regain third position.

Churchill v Glengarry

CHURCHILL laid the foundation for its 153.11 (101) to 9.11 (65) win over Glengarry with a 10-goal-to-one opening half.

After a torrid fortnight the home side exploded out of the blocks with five straight majors ahead of quarter-time.

The Cougars charged on with another five in the second quarter to lead by eight goals at half-time.

Churchill looked as though it would run away with the contest, however, as past weeks have shown, the Cougars dropped their work rate in the second half.

The Magpies kicked eight goals to five to make the home side work hard for the points.

Churchill’s Billy Wight and Michael Higgins were valuable contributors and Brad Knowles stood up to boot three majors along with Joey Whykes and Brendan Holt.

Gormandale v Bois/Briag

GORMANDALE recorded its second win on the run but was made to work for the points against Boisdale/Briagolong.

The Tigers led at every change and was on track to claim their second win within a week, however, in a final term fade out, the Bombers outscored the home side to come within 14 points at the final siren, 12.9 (81) to 10.7 (67).

Tiger Wayne Henry finished the contest with four majors, defender Adam Jaensch was instrumental in defence, while Luke Hegarty and Sam Marks impressed in the midfield.

Boisdale/Briagolong’s Adam Helmke notched up his third straight best on ground honour with the youngster creating plenty of opportunities across the ground.

His teammate John Burge was the sole multiple goal scorer with three.

The Tigers have stepped up a couple of rungs on the ladder to move into seventh position, two games outside the top five.

TTU v Sale City

SALE City failed to score a goal in the second half as second-placed Traralgon Tyers United, led by Brian Graham in front of goals, continued to assert its dominance on the competition.

The Bulldogs trailed by 15 points at the long break and were in the contest.

However, it was a different story after the main change as the Bombers slammed home eight unanswered majors to record a 67-point victory, 16.12 (108) to 6.5 (41).

Graham finished the match with seven majors and was one of the Bombers’ nine individual goal scorers.

Coach Matt Stolarczyk was instrumental in his side’s victory as he led from the front.

Cowwarr v Heyfield

HEYFIELD claimed the silverware against rival and neighbouring club Cowwarr, winning 12.17 (89) to 9.14 (68) to hold aloft the Koman-Hollands Cup.

It was far from one way traffic in the contest between the top of the table Kangaroos and sixth-placed Saints.

Cowwarr trailed by three goals at quarter-time before kicking four goals to two in the second term to reel the margin to single figures by the main break.

The Kangaroos chipped away at the scoreboard but could do little to shake the Saints who kept within arm’s reach throughout the contest.