Gippsland Power bruises Bushies



LOY Yang B Gippsland Power put the misery of its one-point round one loss behind it with a stirring 9.10 (64) to 5.9 (39) win over Murray Bushrangers on the road at Highgate Recreation Reserve.

Newborough newcomer Sam Skinner booted four goals in the Power’s first win of the season, as the visitor showed improvement on its forward 50 efficiency.

Power went into the match without Bohdi Walker due to a minor injury, giving James Jacobsen the chance to make his TAC Cup debut.

After a tight opening to the match the Power opened the scoring after some good work by Michael Jacobsen resulting in a fine mark and goal by talented youngster Skinner.

Forward pressure from Skinner allowed him to set up Brad Olsson for another important goal.

Armed with greater purpose and intent moving forward, Olsson’s skill and vision in conjunction with Jordan Cunico allowed Nicholas Argento to mark strongly and kick the side’s third major.

A string of turnovers allowed the Bushies to boot the last three goals of the term to be within a point at the first change.

Some clever crumbing by James Jacobsen resulted in another goal to Olsson to begin the second term.

Once again Skinner was providing a target up forward and he kicked his second after winning a free kick in a tight contest.

Some trademark Power pressure created another scoring opportunity and they went long and direct up forward to find Skinner who again took a strong contested mark and kicked his third for the game.

The Bushies pegged one back and reduced the Power’s lead to 11 points at half-time.

Mitch Stanlake sent a perfect pass to Skinner, who did him proud with another fine goal after the restart.

A 10 minute deadlock was broken when Power’s Jack Hammond and Lukas Webb combined to hit Christian Buykx-Smith, who marked well and kicked a goal to extend the lead to 25 by the last change.

The last quarter was a dour struggle with both defences standing firm under intense pressure.

As players began to tire they struggled to use the ball with precision and it was not until the 19 minute mark that the Bushies were able to kick the first goal.

The Power replied immediately through Aloysio Ferreira, who applied pace and evasion to kick a classy goal.

The Power now travels to Bendigo to challenge the Geelong Falcons.