Stoppage time save for league leaders

IT took Falcons 93 minutes and the last kick of the game to seal all the three points against Monash to keep its Gippsland Soccer League premiership tilt on track.

With the match being played on Falcons’ second pitch due to the Vic Bowl gridiron finals, Monash used the tight and blustery conditions to full effect, frustrating the home side with a defensive mindset.

The Wolves’ plan to defend deep and hit on the break proved effective as league leading goal scorer Jesse Kennedy was well shackled by Ryan Semple.

The first half was a dour affair as no clear cut chances were created to leave the scores deadlocked at the break.

The second half opened up as Monash limited Falcons’ usual fluency down the flanks, with Marcus Krznaric particularly impressive for the Wolves.

Ty Christy flashed one by the woodwork for Monash as the league leader held its breath.

As the game reached its climax, Falcons started to ramp up the pressure looking for a winner, yet try as it might it could not find a way past a resolute Monash defence.

With the game in injury-time, late introduction Conor Clarke would be Falcons’ saviour, after a bullocking run forward from coach Nick D’Alessandro provided the substitute with the opportunity to prod home from close range.

The game saw star striker Kennedy become the second Falcons player to reach his 150-game milestone this season.

Incredibly, it also marked the only time this season Kennedy has failed to score, keeping his tally at 43 for the year.

This week begins a tough month of football for the Morwell side as it travels to third-placed Moe in the match of the round, looking to end the Red Devils’ title aspirations in addition to maintaining their four-point lead at the top of the table.

TIM Lee was Fortuna’s salvation against Traralgon City, as the Orangemen secured a 1-0 win away from home.

The Roosters were intent on a result after sharing the points with Trafalgar last round, and almost managed to hold off a more fancied Fortuna outfit.

However, the Morwell side managed to claim all three points and remain five points clear of Olympians in fifth spot.

TYERS offered Newborough Yallourn-United a challenge before the combine ran away with a 4-2 win at Burrage Reserve.

Both halves went 2-1 in favour of the home team with Mark Fairbrother, Brandson Scott, Jayden Mathison and Jeremy Dunn the goal scorers.

Rob Darby and Sam Krupjak struck for the Lightning.

CHURCHILL took it slow and steady on the long trip to West Bairnsdale Oval, scoring once in either half to win 2-0.

The Rams sit two points shy of Olympians in seventh on the table.

IT was an all too familiar day of picking the ball up out of the back of the net for Morwell Pegasus.

The GSL allowed the struggling side to drop its second division outfit due to a lack of numbers, but fresh legs did little to help the home team.

Moe United scored nine times and kept a clean sheet in the rout, with Matt Shearing and Joel Baldwin netting hat-tricks.

GODFREY Baldwin Reserve proved impervious for Trafalgar Victory, as Sale racked up double figures.

The Swans marched to a 10-0 win with Ash Ross and Jon Piefke scoring thrice each.