Falcons take flight in Morwell demolition derby

FALCONS 2000 bucked the trend of tight tussles in the Morwell derby with a 4-0 dismissal of Crinigan Road counterpart Fortuna ’60.

After some mediocre efforts of late the Birds were back to their dominant best and put the result beyond doubt within the opening half hour.

However it was the home side with the early ascendency as half chances to veteran strikers Luke Cheney and Mauro de Luca narrowly missed the target.

As the first half progressed, the away side hit its straps and was clinical when given the opportunity.

Full-back Kevin Carcellar was the provider for the first when he expertly crossed for Jesse Kennedy to finish from close range.

It would soon be two after coach Nick D’Alessandro was felled in the box with Kennedy dispatching the resultant spot kick.

With 10 minutes to go in the half the Birds made it three when a blocked Tom D’Alia shot was slotted home by Kennedy once again to complete a first half hat-trick.

A minute out from the break the contest was all but over when D’Alessandro tapped one in from close range.

There was no further scoring in the second half as Falcons kept their first clean sheet of the season.

MONASH made it three in a row by disposing of a spirited Trafalgar 3-0.

The home side struck early with Ryan Witty in the Trafalgar goal unable to hold Brendan Ruddell’s free kick and Ty Christy was on the spot to prod home for the sixth consecutive game.

Monash’s attacking trio of Christy, Braden Paulet and Ethan Lawrence fired wide of the target as the home side turned the screw.

It was left to winger Marcus Krznaric to add to the score when he produced a sublime turn to leave defender and keeper stranded then calmly slotted home.

Witty then produced a fine double save to deny Christy and Paulet as Monash went to the break with a two goal buffer.

The returning Aaron Beasley had the chance to pull a goal back for the visitors against the run of play, but he blasted high and wide.

Christy made it 3-0 after some good work down the right by Tom Bramstedt, firing home after his initial shot was blocked.

Monash had the opportunity to put the icing on the cake with Shawn Lawrence fouled in the box, but captain Ryan Semple’s effort from the spot was saved by Witty.

In other round five matches Churchill humbled Sale 3-1 in a rare win for a visiting side at Godfrey Baldwin Reserve, Moe United fended off Olympians 1-0, Newborough Yallourn-United disposed of Traralgon City 3-0 and Tyers smashed East Gippsland United 6-0.

Seniors: EGUFC 0 – Tyers Lightning 6, Fortuna ’60 0 – Falcons 2000 4, Moe United 1 – Traralgon Olympians 0, Monash Wolves 3 – Trafalgar Victory 0, Sale United 1 – Churchill United 3, Traralgon City 0 – NYUSC 3, Morwell Pegasus – Bye.

Reserves: Fortuna ’60 0 – Falcons 2000 7, Moe United 0 – Traralgon Olympians 0, Monash Wolves 5 – Trafalgar Victory 0, Sale United 5 – Churchill United 0, Traralgon City 0 – NYUSC 3, Morwell Pegasus and Tyers Lightning – Bye.

Women: EGUFC 2 – Tyers Lightning 7, Fortuna ’60 3 – Falcons 2000 0, Moe United 4 – Traralgon Olympians 2, Monash Wolves 2 – Trafalgar Victory 1, Sale United 8 – Churchill United 0, Traralgon City 2 – NYUSC 0, Morwell Pegasus – Bye.

2nd Division: Moe United 1 – Traralgon Olympians 5, Sale Utd 3 – Churchill Utd 1, Moe Utd and Traralgon City – Bye.