Woe for Gippsland FC

IT was a disappointing weekend of matches for Gippsland FC in the FFV metropolitan south A grade divisions, with only the under 14 side saluting the judge.

GIPPSLAND FC showed vastly superior form compared to last week but could not collect the points against Peninsula Strikers.

The woodwork played a vital role in preventing GFC from opening its account in a fast paced game.

The teams went in deadlocked 0-0 at half-time but Gippsland fell asleep for about the first six minutes in the second half and was punished when the opposition scored two goals.

Antony Katiforis scored a last minute consolation volley from a free kick but it was too late and Gippsland went down 2-1.

Best players were Cory Johnson, Kelsey Dal Pozzo and Ryan Massaro.

THE under 14s struck a blow in the battle for second place on the competition ladder with a win away to Sandringham.

Gippsland controlled the first half but had to wait until the latter stages of the stanza to break the deadlock.

Jarrod Ross played a nice pass over the defence which Manny Lual latched onto and rounded the keeper to put Gippsland one up.

The second half was more of the same with Gippsland in full control, keeping Sandringham to two shots on goal for the game which were both from distance.

Adam Semple put the game to bed with a clinical finish from just outside the box to put Gippsland 2-0 up.

Paddy Richardson, Tynan North and Semple all played well for the Gippsland boys.

GFC’s under 15s visited Endeavour United and were immediately put under pressure.

A sharp save by Gippsland goalkeeper Shem Murphy kept the host team at bay.

A goal to Endeavour sparked GFC into action, and a through ball by Thanassi Katiforis to Isaac Boulton resulted in a fantastic 20 metre goal and a 1-1 scoreline after just 10 minutes of play.

Within five minutes Endeavour scored again to regain the lead.

Early in the second half, GFC was awarded a penalty and Zeb McLeod levelled the scores from the spot.

Two goals against a tiring Gippsland side made the final score 4-2 in favour of the host.

Callum Slade and Boulton were the standouts for Gippsland.

A threadbare GFC under 18 side, which had only 11 players available due to injury, felt the brunt of Berwick’s bite at Monash Reserve.

Gippsland held firm against relentless pressure and opened the scoring on the 42 minute mark.

A great combination down the right side between Calum Simpson and Nelson Tombra eventually found Keegan Grealy who headed home the cross.

The celebrations were short lived as Berwick replied two minutes later to lock scores 1-1 at half time.

Berwick pushed forward in the second half and jumped out to a 3-1 advantage.

Gippsland pulled one back in the 70th minute through a Ryan McAuley free kick.

Berwick scored again late to win 4-2.

With only one game left after the season’s last catch-up round the Gippsland side now seems destined to finish third with Berwick and Doveton left to fight it out for league honours.