Power on track in V/Line Cup

Gippsland Power has got its V/Line Cup campaign off to a flying start, with both teams defeating their respective opponents on the back of strong third quarter performances in Monday’s opening round.

On Monday afternoon Power 1 defeated the Peninsula Stingrays 11.9 (75) to 8.14 (62) in their match at Morwell Recreation Reserve.

Power 1 led the way at every change, but were unable to shake their opponent in the first half.

At the first change, Gippsland 1 held a narrow 2.4 (16) to 1.3 (9) lead.

Some impressive kicking from the Stingrays in the second term meant just three points separated the two teams at the main break, with the Power 1 in front 4.7 (31) to 4.4 (28).

Gippsland took control in the third quarter with five majors, while restricting Peninsula to just three behinds. By the end of the third term the Power 1 had opened a 31-point lead, 9.8 (62) to 4.7 (31).

Gippsland 1 took advantage of the lead to rotate players in the final term, despite a Peninsula fight back.

The Stingrays slotted four majors to the Power’s two in the final term to come within 13 points.

Speaking on Tuesday, Gippsland Power manager Peter Francis said he was pleased with how both Gippsland teams played.

“What we’re really pleased about is they’ve done that with very little training (together) over the past few months,” Francis said.

“They’ve combined really nicely and used each other really well – I hope they’re only going to get better as the carn goes on.”

Power were also battling fatigue going into the two matches, with some taking part in the Gippsland League under-16s grand final on Saturday.

“Nine or 10 of them played in the grand final with Leongatha or Moe on Saturday,” Francis said.

“To back up two days after a grand final was really pleasing.”

In Power 2’s game, Gippsland overcame Yarra Ranges 9.12 (66) to 7.5 (47).

The match was an even contest in the first half, with Power 2 trailing 5.5 (35) to 6.4 (40).

In the third term Power 2 kept Yarra scoreless while adding three majors to its tally.

Going into the final quarter the scoreboard read 8.9 (57) to 6.4 (40).

In the final term both teams were only able to add a solitary major to their tally, with Gippsland 2 recording a 19-point win.

Despite the twin wins, there was bad news with both Gippsland teams losing players to injury.

Sale’s Charlie Comben broke his shoulder during Power 1’s game, while at time of print Chance Doultree was in doubt for Power 2’s Wednesday clash with North East Border 2.