LVSL season begins to take shape

Super sixes: Monash went down to Sale United 4-2 on Sunday. Photograph Zoe Askew





Falcons v Churchill

CHURCHILL came within a goal to nearly cause the upset of the season in a lowkey match on Saturday night against top team Falcons.

The Rams gave everything against their more polished opponents and at one stage led the hosts, until Falcons regrouped to level and eventually get their second to win 2-1.

There were anxious moments as neither team could break the initial deadlock. It was more of a wild-west carnival as shots went wide, high and out of range.

The respective keepers had little to do until the action heated up around the half hour mark, when Churchill was awarded a penalty after Majok Deng was dropped in the box. Mark Bianconi took the spot kick but the wily Charles Simon in goals guessed the right way and saved the penalty.

Only four minutes later, Churchill managed to gain a break from a corner where heads rose and the ball went in to give the Rams an unexpectant lead.

Churchill were reduced to 10 players for five minutes after Adinew Demse was winded. Falcons on the recovery gave the Churchill defenders a nightmare and three successive corners put the pressure on the defence, and within a minute of halftime, Falcons levelled the scores after a sublime shot from Nonda Lazaris beat the keeper.

It was all pressure in the second stanza with Falcons continually bombarding the goals.

Churchill had nowhere to go with their whole team in the defensive zone. The bulk of numbers helped Churchill keep Falcons out of range but the Rams could only hang on for so long and at 82 minutes, Michael Fava ensured Falcons’ three points with a shot through the legs of defenders to give Falcons a 2-1 hard fought victory.

Pegasus v Yallourn/Newborough

IN an important match for both teams, Pegasus had the upper edge early in their match.

It was tough conditions and both teams went in hard. Former Pegasus champion Clayton Bell, now coach of Newborough/Yallourn, had his chargers playing hardball in an effort to stop the free-flowing Pegasus.

Two quick corners around the 17-minutes mark saw Pegasus attacking, and an infringement in the box saw Pegasus come out with a penalty which Germaine Otieno converted.

Pegasus were denied their second after a superb run by Choll Nyaciol crossed to Otiero, but he was deemed offside.

Newborough/Yallourn launched an attack with John Cook awarded a free and a cross to the running Adam Batt buried the ball in the back of the net to level the scores on the half hour.

Pegasus were stung into action and gave the Newborough/Yallourn defenders a hard time, forcing three corners in succession, the third resulting in a goal from Otiero for his second as Pegasus went to a 2-1 lead. Good saves by Gilbert ensured Pegasus didn’t have a blowout by half time.

Pegasus continued their onslaught after the break, giving Newborough/Yallourn a new set of nightmares. Further goals to Kuku Mahmoud and Otiero for his hat-trick ensured Pegasus remained undefeated for the third time this season taking the match 5-1.

Fortuna v Tyers

FORTUNA were never really tested against Tyers, who found it hard to match one of the stronger teams in the competition.

It was Fortuna’s first trip back to Tyers since 2017, which set the scene for a huge win for the Lions.

Fortuna were first on the board at 15 minutes and pummelled the goals at 22, 29 and 37 minutes to go 4 -0 at halftime.

The Lions continued their onslaught in the second stanza with a further five goals to run out 9-0 winners.

Monash v Sale

SALE and Monash fought out a thrilling six-goal event, but unfortunately for Monash they were on the losing end, again going down to a more persistent Sale team who have now racked up two out of three wins so far.

The Swans took the match 4-2.

Moe United had the bye.