Hunger and resilience on display in LVSL

File image








NEWBOROUGH/Yallourn did a number on a hapless Tyers, winning 5-0 in Round 7 of the Latrobe Valley Soccer League.

The Combine found it hard to settle down, but Shane Pavich received a loose ball to give them first blood at 26 minutes.

Tyers kept Newborough/Yallourn at bay for a while, but eventually broke down under pressure as two goals came within two minutes to change the complex of the match.

Ryan McCluskey goaled at 35 minutes and Shane Pavich (37) did the damage before halftime.

After the break Newborough/Yallourn added further goals with a penalty at 56 and finally at 70 minutes the match was sealed at 5-0.


Sale v Olympians (6-2)

SALE ensured Olympians would be chasing their first points after beating the Blues 6-2.

Sale broke through early at six minutes, and doubled the lead at 17 minutes.

After halftime, Sale went into attacking mode and scored twice within 10 minutes to carry the score to an impressive 4-0.

Olympians, although down, were not out, and pulled a goal back at 62 which Sale responded to with a goal only four minutes later.

Olympians again scored but Sale answered to run out winners 6-2 in a highly entertaining match.


Churchill v Monash (0-1)

A FIRST half penalty by Monash was the difference between themselves and Churchill, as Monash made hard work of their good win.

The Wolves played all over the Rams in the early part, but wasted opportunities to score. Churchill’s custodian had to make two fingertip saves, flicking the ball over the net.

Monash however broke the deadlock after receiving a penalty which was neatly converted.

Monash almost doubled up when a header went wide and a corner kick was cleared off the line.

The Wolves led 1-0 at the break but couldn’t add any more as both keepers were brilliant in their saves, diving left, right, up and down during the game.

Churchill almost tied the match with minutes to go, the ball clipping the side bar. Monash’s win was their second scalp this season.



Moe United v Fortuna (3-0)

MOE United played at home under lights for the second week in a row on Saturday night.

A large crowd came to Olympic Park to see the Latrobe Valley Soccer League match of the round between the Red Devils and league leaders Fortuna, who went into the Round 7 match undefeated.

As predicted, it was a physical and high quality game between two of the top sides in the competition.

Moe ended up winning 3-0 after dominating early, scoring their first goal after 13 minutes.
The Red Devils scored from a defence splitting long free kick that was perfectly judged by Connor O’Hanlon, who slotted the ball past the Fortuna keeper.

Fortuna’s defence and midfield were solid and limited Moe’s forward thrusts, but lacked penetration up front and never threatened the Red Devil’s goal.

Late in the first half, a pinpoint pass from Riley Winkelman found Oscar Sceney unmarked. Sceney then raced clear but failed to beat the Fortuna keeper in a one-on-one. The rebound landed back to Sceney, by he disappointedly sprayed his second attempt.

Sixty minutes into the match, Sceney was again involved when he picked up a loose ball which he sent out wide where Campbell Dastey then raced through and his inch-perfect pass found O’Hanlon, who slotted the ball home from close range.

Fortuna fought hard to get back into the contest, but their forward movements posted very little threat to Peter Albanese in Moe United’s goal.

Seventy-five minutes into the match, the Red Devils sealed the vitally important three points when a Chad Sheeley free kick found Sceney.

Sceney swivelled around and hammered his first time shot home past the visiting Fortuna keeper.

Fortuna produced a couple of late chances coming from a Brodie Glover shot, then soon after a free kick was saved by Albanese. The rebound fell to Lachie Frendo but his shot sailed high over the target.

Best for Moe was Sceney, O’Hanlon, Luke Bathgate and Tanner Pyle, while for Fortuna, Oliver Spiteri and Daniel Cooper played well.




HIGHLIGHT match of the round will be Pegasus at home to Falcons, a game between two of the heavyweight teams in the competition.

Ironically, both are coming off a bye so the week’s rest will play a big part in the result of the match.

Falcon’s only blemish so far has been a loss to Moe (4-1) while Pegasus are yet to be taken down.

Falcons have scored more goals (22) but have leaked nine, while Pegasus has scored 19 but only six against, and both have a plus-13 difference.

Top goal scorers for Falcons are Stefen Sbaglia with seven, although six goals in the opening round are yet to be credited to his tally, and Nonda Lazaris has five. Pegasus have Germaine Otieno with eight and Kuku Mahmoud with five.

Olympians v Fortuna

FORTUNA have the big chance to recover from their loss to Moe. Playing understrength, the Lions were outmuscled by a stronger Moe side, but this time round should have many players returning so that points to a difficult time for the Olympians.

Monash v Newborough/Yallourn

THE Newborough derby features Monash playing their fourth ‘home’ match in a row up against their neighbours, in a match that usually provides very keen opposition.

Newborough/Yallourn will go in as favourites, but Monash will be buoyed by their win over Churchill

Tyers v Moe

TYERS are home to giant killers Moe.

Although Tyers aren’t in the ‘giant’ mode, Moe should be able to rattle up a few goals against the minnows.

Moe are playing at their top and should be able to add another scalp to their already impressive haul.



FORTUNA 60 Soccer Club senior women sealed an 11-1 win over Moe United Soccer Club in the Latrobe Valley Soccer League’s opening Round 7 match.

Fortuna led Moe 6-1 at the break, netting four goals in the second half to claim a solid win over the Red Devils at Olympic Park on Saturday afternoon.

Sophie Jarvis netted a double hat-trick plus one. Her seven goals in Round 7 earnt her the title of the league’s leading goal scorer.

Emily Brabazon scored the remaining three goals for Fortuna. The Round 7 hat-trick tying her as the league’s equal second-leading goal scorer with Falcons Savannah Lapenta and Sale United’s Anouk Meereboer with a total of 16.

Jarvis leads by two goals, having scored 18 goals.

Newborough Yallourn United redeemed themselves at the weekend, following a Round 6 loss, defeating Tyers Lightning 5-1 at Burrage Reserve.

Olivia Brown netted a brace, with Angela Knersch, Kelly-Lee Soles and Gabrielle Fisher-Wolfe each finding the back of the net.

Emily Shaw scored for Tyers.

Morwell Pegasus hosted East Gippsland United on Sunday morning, the home side scoring the opening goal in the 10th minute.

East Gippsland’s Sally Hoffman scored the equaliser in the 36th minute.

With a goalless second half, nothing separated the two sides at the 90 minute mark.

Morwell Pegasus and East Gippsland United split the Round 7 points.

Falcons claimed three points, defeating Traralgon City 5-1 at Latrobe City Sports Stadium, while Monash and Churchill split the points following a scoreless game.

Sale United had the bye.