Two-horse race looms in LVSL

File image





ROUND 19 of the Latrobe Valley Soccer League went largely as expected, and with three rounds to go it seems the race for Gippsland soccer’s most coveted prize is down to two combatants – fierce Morwell rivals Fortuna 60 and Falcons 2000.

Both sides won their fixtures on the weekend, and with two games each to play, the final game of the season between the two sides looks likely to be the title decider.



WITH their championship aspirations on the line, Falcons went into their match against Pegasus on Saturday night knowing that a loss or even a draw would virtually finish their championship bid.

Many expected a subpar Pegasus to turn up given their title aspirations were all but extinguished, but it was anything but as the Flying Horsemen started the game with high intensity.

The game was largely in the balance for most of the first half, but it was the away side that drew first blood in the second minute of stoppage time as they took advantage of a goalmouth scramble to head into the break a goal to the good.

Falcons, staring down the barrel of a loss that would significantly harm their league title hopes, came out firing and showed the character and determination of a club that just doesn’t give up.

From the first minute of the second half they tormented their opponents, and within five minutes they were level.

After being fouled outside the box, Nonda Lazaris stepped up and slotted home a freekick that wowed the home fans.

Three minutes later, the Birds took the lead as Pegasus keeper Santo Simon was left stranded after a defensive clearance, with Jim Mills lobbing the back-peddling goalkeeper to continue his rich vein of form in front of goals.

Pegasus simply had no answer and conceded a third when Lazaris jinked his way inside the box and slotted his second inside the far post.

Falcons’ continued to create chance after chance, yet could not put the game to bed and they were made to sweat late, as Pegasus dragged themselves back into the contest to make it 3-2 with 10 minutes to play.

It made for a tense final stanza but the home fans fears were soon allayed as substitute Michael Fava made amends for an earlier miss to slot home his sides fourth.

Man of the match Lazaris would claim his hat-trick late on as he was felled in the box and subsequently slotted home the penalty to make it a 5-2 win for the second-placed side.

The match was an extra special one for fan-favourite Tommy D’Alia, who made his 150th senior appearance for Falcons, in the win.



THE strong rivalry continued when Monash visited neighbours Newborough/Yallourn in a game for bragging rights.

But it was the underdog Monash who again had a victory, with another big win over a team above them on the ladder.

Monash had three goals on the board before the Combine could manage a reply, when leading scorer Mark Fairbrother added another to his tally.

Burrage Reserve was a happy hunting ground for the Wolves, as they plundered another two goals to wrap up the match 5-1.

Mark Krznaric finished with a pair while Ethan Lawrence, Jace Paulet and Leon Varrasso also shared the limelight.


MOE 10 def TYERS 1

MOE kept its mathematical chances of claiming the league alive for at least another week, helped in short way by their 10-1 drubbing of Tyers.Taking to Olympic Park on Saturday night, the Red Devils overcame a huge early scare when Ricky Moyle opened the scoring for the Lightning just six minutes in.

From there, Moe woke up, and responded with goals at the 18, 22 and 28 minute mark.

Moe reached double figures on the stroke of full time, with their 10th coming in the 87th minute.

A goal-scoring spree saw Moe put four goals away in just over 10 minutes in the second half to extend their lead.

While it is looking highly unlikely, the Red Devils can still win the league if results fall their way.

Try to keep up with this.

Moe must best Monash this weekend, and then Churchill and Newborough in the last two rounds, and rely on either Pegasus or Falcons beating Fortuna on the run home, or having either or those side draw.

Have the Red Devils got another miracle in them?



FORTUNA ensured they stayed on top of the ladder, after a strong win over Olympians in a warm-up for their last two matches.

The Lions were untroubled to produce their best, though at times Olympians made it difficult for the league leaders to play their normal patterns.

Fortuna grabbed an early lead at 37 minutes, but Olympians were equal to the task and squeezed in an equaliser at 42 minutes through Jordan Martin.

The deadlock remained for three minutes as Fortuna regained the lead.

After halftime, the Lions revved up and took control, adding a further two goals to retain top position on the table.

Goals were credited to Damon Scott with a pair, with Daniel Cooper and Jordan Campbell also on the scoresheet.


CHURCHILL and Sale United had the bye.