LATROBE City’s play for potentially millions of dollars in Federal Government funding for the long awaited performing arts centre will be held off until next year.
Councillors on Monday night decided to postpone its Commonwealth funding pitch to allow for the completion of Latrobe Performing Arts Centre design plans and strengthen the application by council officers.
The decision, made in a session of urgent business, came ahead of the pending closure of second funding round applications to the government’s National Stronger Regions Fund.
Latrobe City mayor Dale Harriman said he was confident the LPAC’s final design would be completed in time for the round three application process next year.
“If we were to rush in with an incomplete application in round two, it could have big implications on our chances for future funding rounds,” Cr Harriman said. “We’ve received advice from bureaucrats at the federal level that putting in funding applications which aren’t up to scratch will be swiftly knocked out and won’t be looked at favourably in future rounds.”
Earlier this month Latrobe City Council adopted a plan to build the LPAC at the existing Traralgon arts precinct.