A number of objections surrounding an Oktoberfest event planned for Traralgon has led to its cancellation.
Monster Events Australia intended to host a two-day Oktoberfest at the Kay Street Entertainment Complex, but the venue’s management this week cancelled the event.
Licensee Andrew Panayiotou said the team had not prepared sufficiently for the event, which was to be held tomorrow and Saturday.
“I don’t think we were prepared and it was going to cost too much with wages, being a public holiday and the next day being a grand final,” Mr Panayiotou said.
The two-day festival was to involve dress-up competitions, a selection of German beer and food as well as live entertainment.
Beer games, keg and stein holding competitions and table hostesses were among the other activities promoted on organiser Monster Events Australia’s Facebook page.
Monster Events originally applied to host the same festival in Walhalla and then in Traralgon’s Victory Park, but permits through Baw Baw Shire and Latrobe City councils fell through.
At the time, Latrobe City general manager of planning and governance Phil Stone told The Express council was not confident the organisers had considered public safety or amenity.
“(This was) based on acute issues with the application, as well as the need for Victory Park to be closed to the public for two days,” Mr Stone said.
“If there is any degree of uncertainty around the capacity of the event organiser to stage a safe event then we must request further information or refuse an application.”
The organisers then changed the venue to the Kay Street Entertainment Complex.
Latrobe Licensing Inspector Dean Thomas said he met with Latrobe City Council and the venue’s management on Tuesday after becoming aware the Traralgon Oktoberfest may still go ahead.
“I was originally made aware of an application to run the Traralgon Oktoberfest and an objection was lodged by me due to certain concerns I had,” Inspector Thomas said.
“I met with Latrobe City and Kay Street Entertainment Complex and discussed my concerns with them.
“As a result of that meeting, Kay Street Entertainment Complex agreed to cancel the event and I commend (them) for taking that stance.”
Latrobe City acting general manager of planning and economic sustainability Gail Gatt said at the meetingcouncil had reiterated why it denied the initial event permit for Victory Park.
“The issue has always been the concerns over the safety and security of patrons attending this event,” Ms Gatt said.
Mr Panayiotou said he was not aware how many tickets had been sold, but there would be a full refund.
“We will try and look at it for either later on in the month or get prepared to do it next year at a different time, not during the public holiday,” he said.
The Express was unable to contact Monster Events Australia before going to print.