Bloods overcome Demons

It was a good-looking start to the season for the Mid Gippsland Football League, with competitive and exciting matches played across the league.

Trafalgar v Boolarra

Trafalgar and Boolarra battled it out at the Demon’s home ground in the 2011 grand final rematch, and the match was every bit the contest it promised to be.

Trafalgar’s inaccurate kicking meant Boolarra was in with a chance, but the Bloods were the better side on the day, Trafalgar 8.19 (67) defeated Boolarra 6.8 (44).

Before the opening bounce, the teams stood shoulder to shoulder while Boolarra’s 2011 premiership flag was unveiled by Tommy Gilpin, Boolarra’s oldest surviving life member.

MGFL junior vice president and former Boolarra president Stan Kerrigan congratulated both sides for their efforts last year and wished them the best of luck for the coming season.

Play got underway and Trafalgar scored the first goal, but it was not long before Boolarra replied.

The Bloods only managed two goals in the first quarter despite having six more shots at goal.

Trafalgar’s inaccurate kicking continued into the second quarter, allowing the Demons to keep their hopes alive with two goals in less than five minutes towards the end of the quarter.

Boolarra found some form in the third quarter, with the inside 50’s being almost the same for both teams but the Demons were, at times, unable to convert these into goals.

Only 12 behinds separated the teams at the final break, with the score 6.4 (40) to 6.16 (52).

Chris Kyriacou said although he was worried at times the Trafalgar boys would “kick themselves out of the game”, he was happy with his team’s performance because they worked hard and stuck to the game plan.

Both teams had key players out, but Demon’s coach Tony Giardina said it was not an excuse for the loss on Saturday.

“Our disposal was poor all day and we were second to the footy. We let them take control of the game,” he said.

Hill End v Mirboo North

The Hill End and Mirboo North game at Hill End was close all day, with the margin at each break never exceeding five points.

Hill End was one point in front at three-quarter time.

Mirboo North had seven shots at goal in the final quarter, but only managed to score one goal while Hill End scored two goals one to secure the win.

The final score was Hill End 10.5.65 and Mirboo North 8.15.63.

Thorpdale v Newborough

Newborough had an easy win over Thorpdale scoring 26.25 (181) to Thorpdale’s 3.2 (20), putting them in top spot with the largest percentage after round one.

The Bulldogs’ dominance rendered the Blues goal-less in the first and last quarters.

The Blues’ skill let them down, conceding many turnovers which Newborough took full advantage of.

Yarragon v Yallourn/Yallourn North

With Yallourn Yallourn North just seven points in front at half time, Yarragon was in with a chance to beat the Bombers.

However, YYN dominated the play in the third quarter to extend its lead to 33 at the final break, with 12 scoring shots to Yarragon’s one goal.

In the end YYN proved too strong for Yarragon, booting three more goals in the last quarter to win 16.18 (114) to 11.2 (68).

Morwell East v Yinnar

It was a close match at Morwell East with the margin fluctuating all day.

Yinnar got off to a great start with a lead of two goals at quarter time, but by half time scores were 37-apiece.

The Magpies came out firing in the third quarter and kicked four goals to the Hawks one goal, three behinds.

Yinnar made errors in the final quarter and Morwell East got the better of them, kicking an impressive five goals to win 11.12 (78) to Yinnar 10.6 (66).

While Morwell East had eight goal-kickers, Yinnar had just two.

Yarram player Joshua Swift was cleared for the day and was a standout player, scoring eight goals.

Both teams are doing well in the seniors, but Morwell East is in desperate need of under 16 and under 18 aged players and Yinnar needs under 18 aged players.