Stunning Red Devils smash Tyers

Moe United has made it three wins on the trot to climb to fourth on the Gippsland Soccer League ladder with a 6-1 thumping of Tyers on Sunday.

After losing 5-3 to Tyers the last time they met, Red Devils coach Lee Dastey was wary of a repeat performance from in form Lightning striker Jake Budija who scored a hat-trick in that match and was fresh off another in his most recent outing against Monash.

But Adrian Savage starred for Moe kicking five of his side’s six goals, in a day of individual dominance rarely seen on a soccer field.

Savage was joined on the goal kickers’ list by Matthew Shearing who has been scoring consistently.

Churchill United v Traralgon Olympians

The most exciting match of the round was between first placed Churchill and the under-performing ninth placed Olympians, with the Rams eventually prevailing 2-1.

Olympians punished the Rams with a rare counter attack resulting in a classy goal from Clayton Bell, who turned and volleyed from outside the box to lead 1-0 just before the break.

Olympians’ goalkeeper Ben Johnstone was in outstanding form, making several telling saves to keep the Blues in the ascendancy.

With fifteen minutes to play, Churchill finally had an equaliser when Taylor Jackson weaved past two Olympians’ defenders before his shot was saved by Johnstone, but the ball fell back at Jackson’s feet to finish from close range 1-1. Churchill was then gifted an advantage when Blues defender Brian Box was given his marching orders for his second bookable offence.

With eight minutes to play, Churchill claimed the match when Dean Pyle’s free kick took a deflection to wrong foot Johnstone and gave the Rams the win 2-1.

Monash v Falcons

A late second-half goal gave Falcons a share of the points at Monash in a high tempo game 1-1.

The home side started well with 15-year old Ethan Lawrence promoted to a striking role after his record 10-goal haul in the under 16s on Saturday.

The Wolves grabbed the lead when pocket dynamo Ash Birrell dispossessed Conor Clarke before driving a shot which Storey failed to hold with Wally Noppert on hand to fire home the rebound.

In the second half chances were created and spurned by both sides in an entertaining end-to-end period of play.

With time running out for the Falcons, it was former Monash player Sam Amaira who provided the equaliser, latching onto a long ball and beating two opponents in the box before curling the ball into the far corner of the net with just ten minutes to play 1-1.

The best chance of the final minutes saw Storey deny a powerful Stansbury free kick from thirty yards as Falcons held out to grab a share of the points.

Traralgon City v Sale United

Sale United continued on its winning way accounting for fellow top four side Traralgon City 2-0 at the Harold Preston Reserve.

The Swans were missing several key position players and were forced to place in form striker Jon Piefke in goals in Richardson’s absence.

Dick Bosma medallist Mark Fairbrother won City a penalty kick and Adam Batt stepped up but failed to beat Piefke in goals clipping the upright and out for a goal kick.

Things looked grim for the Swans when hard running midfielder Tommy Nguyen sustained a serious injury which saw him take no further part in the game.

With just half an hour gone, City’s Manny Askew was given his immediate marching orders for an ill timed tackle that gave the referee no option.

In the second half with the score still tied nil all, the Roosters attacked through Dustin Moos and Fairbrother but could not find a way past Callum Markovic a centre back for the Swans.

Sale eventually found an opening and took the lead 1-0 when Karbo Phillips out paced the City defence before chipping the goalkeeper.

A daring run from Ashley Ross was rewarded when he doubled the visitors’ lead with a clinical finish to round out the match 2-0.

Fortuna v Newborough-Yallourn United

Fortuna has continued its mid season drive for the championship title with a comprehensive 6-0 win over Newborough-Yallourn United on Saturday night.

Fortuna’s returning trio of stars did the damage headed by captain Josh Tanti with a hat-trick, striker George Fkiaris with a double and Owen Kelly rounded out the six goal rout.