Power survive ‘danger game’

IN damp conditions, Loy Yang B Gippsland Power won a danger game against fourth-placed Oakleigh Chargers to maintain a solid run towards the 2012 TAC Cup finals series.

It took a while for the Power to find an effective avenue to goal but some great vision and skill by Matt Northe set up Shannen Lange for the first major.

Northe did it again with more great ball use, with Tom Muir on the receiving end this time.

From the resulting centre bounce, Lange kicked long and created a chance for Nick Graham who kicked truly.

Against the run of play, the Chargers responded with a snap that reminded the Power of the intensity that was needed to keep their momentum going.

Mirboo North youngster Liam Nash was another to kick long into attack and Tim Membrey took full advantage of his opportunity.

Membrey got creative with some excellent ball use to allow Lange to kick his second for the quarter and send the Power four goals ahead at the first change.

The Power were brilliant in their effective ball use and had made their most effective start for a game in many weeks.

Ben Kearns joined the Power goal rush as a result of a free kick created by more forward pressure and then kicked another after Graham had sent the ball long to set him up.

The Power’s ability to be competitive resulted in Graham kicking another team lifting goal.

Anthony Tipungwuti then set up Simon Deery with his pace and accurate kicking skills.

Against the run of play, the Chargers went forward and snapped a freakish goal to reduce Gippsland’s lead to 51 points going into the long break.

The Power had 17 forward 50 entries to the Chargers’ one for the quarter.

Oakleigh started the term well but could not convert forward entries to goals.

Josh Cashman broke the goal drought when he kicked truly to set up Muir for the opening goal of the quarter.

The Chargers finally made an effective entry up forward late in the term before Membrey scored a Power goal to maintain a 51-point lead with one quarter remaining.

The rain was continuing to fall at the start of the term and Northe scored a goal from a free kick.

By the final siren the margin in favour of the Power was still 51 points and the Power had emerged from a real danger game with a morale-boosting win.

In round 15 the Power meet Eastern Ranges at Box Hill.