Cougars come up short

WOODSIDE enhanced its status as North Gippsland football’s big improver with a crushing 30-point triumph against league heavyweight Churchill.

Billed as the match of the round, the eagerly anticipated clash between the undefeated top of the table sides lived up to all expectations in the opening half.

Five points favoured the Cougars at the first change of ends in a high scoring opening quarter of play, before the visitors used the conditions to their advantage in the second to skip away to a 20-point lead.

Cougars coach Tim Darby, Travis Brighton and Hamish Towns made an impact in front of goal during the second quarter as Churchill looked to open the game wide open ahead of half-time.

In a game of two contrasting halves the Wildcats blitzed their opponents in the premiership term, outscoring Churchill six goals to three to reel the half-time margin back to a mere point at the last change.

The Wildcats’ relentlessness did not lapse in the final term.

Hungry, passionate and wanting the win, Woodside hit its straps early through key forward Justin Staley in a frenetic start to the quarter.

The Churchill defence worked diligently to contain Staley, as the midfield dominance and delivery into the forward line put the home side in the box seat.

Seven goals to two in the final term ensured the Wildcats emerged victorious, 21.14 (140) to 17.8 (110).

Gormandale v Rosedale

GORMANDALE hit the front 10 minutes into the final term and, finding plenty of the ball, appeared poised to register its opening win of the season.

However, the class of Rosedale came to the fore and helped the Blues get out of jail to record their third win of the season 9.14 (68) to 9.8 (62).

Tigers coach Luke Henderson said his side could take plenty from the contest despite falling shy of the line.

“We find ourselves there abouts, we have seen in the opening month that we have the ability to beat everyone (in) the competition but we also know that we are at a level that we can also lose to anyone,” he said.

TTU v Glengarry

TRARALGON Tyers United was forced to work hard for the four points against a persistent Glengarry line-up which gave little away.

Highly fancied to take the points, the Bombers were pushed in a tough physical contest at Tyers which saw the home side tested as the Magpies made the most of their chances.

Glengarry led the contest in the opening term with a handy 10-point margin at the first change.

The Bombers fought back in the second term when Brian Graham found the sticks as the Bombers turned a quarter-time deficit into a one-goal lead at the long change.

The going did not get any easier after the break, with Glengarry hitting the front to lead by two-points at three-quarter-time.

Playing an inconsistent brand of footy, the Bombers got the better of the visitors early in the fourth and raced out to a 19-point lead.

They extended the margin to 25 before Glengarry came storming home with two majors in the last 30 seconds of play, including one on the siren.

Graham was among the majors in the final term in which TTU booted six goals to four to snatch the win by 13 points.

Cowwarr v Bois/Briag

AN 11-goal to nil opening term by Cowwarr laid the foundations for the Saints’ opening win of the season, 18.18 (126) to 6.12 (48).

Left flat-footed, Boisdale/Briagolong could do little but watch in awe as the Saints rebounded from the disappointments of the opening month and hit the scoreboard hard to put the result beyond question in the opening 25 minutes.

The Saints took the foot off the pedal in the second term as the Bombers found their footing to outscore the home side for the quarter.

While less impressive for the remainder of the match, Cowwarr added a further seven majors to record a 78-point victory and celebrate Lee Cooper’s 250th senior game in style.

Heyfield v Sale City

HEYFIELD made a statement of intent with an emphatic 50-point victory over last year’s preliminary final rival Sale City.

The reigning premiers have got their season off to a flying start, winning three from four, and Saturday’s strong second term ensured victory before the Kangaroos closed out the 12.13 (85) to 20.15 (135) win.