Jets down inefficient Power

After playing disciplined team football in their past three games, the Power threw away a certain victory by playing some poor football.

In stark contrast the Jets did not waste their scoring opportunities and snatched an unlikely win in the dying moments of the match.

The Power had 20 more forward 50 entries than the Jets, but kicked less goals.

To further indicate the level of their inefficiency up forward, the Power kicked four goals from 44 forward 50 entries when kicking to the scoring end of the ground.

Not only did they waste most of these critical chances to put the game away, but the Power also kicked 14 behinds along with the four goals.

It was a game the Power handed to the Jets and it could prove to be costly later in the season.

The Power went into the match still missing Jack Leslie and Lukas Webb, while Rohan Hildebrand was out due to suspension.

On a positive note, Josh Scott and Jordan Cunico returned from state duties and Bodhi Walker was back after missing last week’s game due to illness.

The Jets were on target early after some poor Power defence.Better decision making from Tom Muir and Alex Saunders allowed Wes Russell to mark and goal.

Declan Keilty and Ed Morris created an opportunity for Cunico who finished off with a goal.

In what was to be the pattern of the rest of the game, the Jets took advantage of some poor manning up by the Power, but Cunico kicked another from a free kick.

More forward thrusts were wasted due to a lack of vision, but Adam Wallace broke the trend with a late goal through a free kick.

The Power held a nine-point lead at the end of the first term

The Jets opened the quarter with a loose man in defence and, consequently, Scott would have two opponents for rest of the game.

Some indecisive defence allowed the Jets to score a soft goal, but Ed Morris used the ball intelligently to kick a long reply.

The Jets scored another through more indecisive defending as the Power continued to squander their chances with poor finishing.

Almost against the run of play, Jake Thomas went long to allow Scott to kick another for the Power.

Instead of building on this, the Power gifted the Jets with another goal by not manning up and it took a long goal from the 50-metre line by Liam Nash to give the Power an unconvincing 17-point lead, despite having 25 more forward forays than the Jets.

Instead of having a convincing lead, the Power had kept the Jets in the match and were ready to capitalise on any further poor play.

They did so by kicking the first major of the third quarter and then did it again after exploiting some soft Power defensive decisions.

It took some clever play by Keilty and Alex Carr to set up Morris and against the run of play some long and penetrating kicking by Nash and Nate Paredes set up Saunders for a clever goal.

The Jets replied with two consecutive goals at a time when the Power should have been well clear, and instead led by one point at the last change.

In the opening moments of the quarter Lachie Channing set up Carr and it looked like the Power were finally going to use the ball with direction and precision.

However, they continued to waste many forward opportunities and the Jets then pounced in the last minutes of the match to record a two-point win, 11.11 (77) to 10.15 (75).

The Power will next face the ultimate challenge when it meets league leaders Geelong Falcons at Box Hill next Sunday.