No salvation for Blues

BOOLARRA could not help Thorpdale regain fifth position on the Mid Gippsland football ladder as Trafalgar shored up its finals place on a miserable day for the Demons.

Trafalgar found form with injured players returning to storm home 20.14 (134) to 4.3 (27), and will be a formidable challenge in next week’s finals.

The Bloods were far too good for Boolarra who scratched around without too much motive and it was sad to see the Demons so overwhelmed in their farewell game for coach Tony Giardina after a seven-year stint.

Trafalgar ran the ball well across the forward line and had four goals up in the first eight minutes, while Boolarra had not a clue as to what was happening.

In perfect football weather, Trafalgar made supreme use of the ball, were prepared to play in front and created the loose man and played better to position.

It took Boolarra 24 minutes to score its first goal but in the meantime Trafalgar had notched up 6.2 (38).

The second term did not go much better for Boolarra as Trafalgar toyed with them.

The Bloods found spaces and good avenues to goal and popped through another 7.5 (47) to nil.

Boolarra missed Matt Windsor and Trafalgar lost Matt Robertson after each was sent off late in the second term.

Demons teenage sensation Troy Tobin was also unavailable due to a dislocated finger received in the thirds match, though his influence would likely have been stemmed by an unyielding red and white army in defence.

The Bloods are now preparing for this weekend’s battle in the elimination final against Newborough.

YALLOURN-Yallourn North finished the home and away season on top of the ladder after toppling Morwell East 19.17 (131) to 5.4 (34).

The Bombers lost their first match of the season to Yinnar , picked it up from then and have now been undefeated for 17 matches, including a draw against Yinnar in round 10.

Adam Bailey’s side wasted no time putting Morwell East to the sword, keeping the Hawks goalless until the third quarter.

Led by Luke Norder in the ruck the Bombers were able to clear the ball from the centre bounces which gave their forwards ample chance to score.

Often showy play produced only minor scores for YYN as Morwell East dented the Bombers’ pride in the third by outscoring them, albeit only by a few points.

Tim Phillips booted six majors to take out the league title with 59 goals and scored his side’s 18th and 19th goals.

Morwell East stopped the Bombers from notching their 20th by kicking two of their own to bring the final margin back down to double figures.

Apart from Phillips’ effort, nine other players shared the booty and their best were coach Bailey, ruckman Norder, Barry Brooks and Phillips himself.

MIRBOO North moved into third place, replacing Newborough which must now play a knock-out final next week.

The Tigers ran all over Yarragon on the scoreboard but the Panthers were competitive in general play.

A lack of goal shooting ability let the Panthers down and a score-line of 6.11 (47) to 13.5 (83) at three-quarter-time showed how Yarragon missed the mark.

The Panthers had one less shot at goal but were 36 points down.

Kris Berchtold was the pivot for Mirboo North’s success with seven goals ably backed by Jack Robertson with three.

Mirboo North now play off against Yinnar on Saturday in the start of the final series.

Yarragon finished the season a homeless entity, not being able to play on their “home” ground next season.

THORPDALE’S morale hit rock bottom as scores of the Boolarra versus Trafalgar game filtered through.

The Blues needed Boolarra to win to regain fifth position but it was not to be, with their big win over Hill End not enough to reach finals.

By three-quarter-time it was all over bar the shouting but Hill End decided to give it a real go in the final term which kept the goal umpires busy.

Thirteen goals straight without a behind were scored, with Thorpdale bagging eight and Hill End five in a goal frenzy which ended matters at 20.17 (137) to 10.9 (69).

Ilan Osman finished with five goals to reach 54 for the season and third overall, Liam Dowling bagged four and the rest were shared around with nine other players.

For Hill End Matt Coutts ended with three goals.

YINNAR sent Newborough tumbling back to fourth position via a gutsy eight point win.

The Magpies, safe in second, were just too good on the day against the league’s perennial runners-up.

Yinnar should have wrapped up the game in the first term but a string of behinds kept Newborough in contention.

The birds picked up their momentum in the second and pulled away from Newborough, with their forwards finding the target five times out of six to go to a steady lead of 21 points at the big break. Newborough recovered and outscored Yinnar in the second half and play was even between two competitive teams.

Ultimately Yinnar just claimed the points 12.10 (82) to 11.8 (74), a reversal of the six point result in the first round.

Tim Aitken, bagged three under pressure while seven other players contributed to the scoreline.