Gippsland FC on the move

GIPPSLAND FC’s under 13 side made it back-to-back victories in a scrappy encounter against Sandringham FC.

The club’s under 14s shared in the success with a return to the winners’ list, the under 15s were valiant in defeat and the under 18s came off second best against close ladder rival Berwick.

The Gippsland FC under 13s backed up last week’s win with a narrow 1-0 victory at home against Sandringham SC.

In a slow match the first action came after 15 minutes when a scramble in the goal mouth was cleared by the visitor’s defence.

Minutes later a deep run from Kishen Parekh ended with him rounding the keeper and tapping into an empty net.

Few chances were created in the second half as GFC took the three points.

Antony Katiforis, Oscar Plenkovich, Manny Scarlett and Harrison Meyer all played well for Gippsland.

In the under 14s GFC travelled to Peninsula Strikers, a side which was three points ahead of Gippsland in equal second position on the table.

The first half was even with limited chances for both sides.

Gippsland scored late in the half when Blake Zimora played a nice pass to free Toby Mullins on the right hand side.

Toby played a dangerous cross across the face of goal, only for a Peninsula defender to turn it into his own net in a failed headed clearance.

In the second half Adam Semple struck the cross bar with a header at the back post which was the only clear scoring chance after the break.

Gippsland defended well to win 1-0 and move to equal second on the table.

THE Gippsland boys made a trip down to the Chelsea Soccer Club in the under 15s and came off second best in a 3-1 loss.

Chelsea had been struggling of late but was switched on from the start and held a two goal lead at half-time.

Isaac Boulton pegged one back from the penalty spot but could not overturn the deficit by the final whistle.

Boulton, Zeb Mcleod, and Thanassi Katiforis all stepped up in the second half for the visitor.

The first half of Gippsland FC’s under 18 match against Berwick lived up to the expectations of a match between second and third placed teams.

Tough end to end play from both sides was typical of a bruising contest.

Berwick opened the scoring after 30 minutes when it got in behind the Gippsland defence to score at the near post.

Gippsland responded six minutes later with another quality finish from Nelson Tombra, who is having an outstanding season, and it was 1-1 at half-time.

A 65th minute goal followed by a penalty allowed Berwick to win 3-1.