Mann power falls short

SEVEN goals from Yarragon’s Damian Mann wasn’t enough to upset soon-to-be finalist Morwell East.

The East had gotten away to a flying start by using the wind to the northern end of Ronald Reserve in the first quarter and scored first by coming through the corridor.

From the centre, through Andrew Brown, the East was able to push forward and score frequently, with strong marking by Brayden Darby-Lock a factor.

By the first break the East had rolled over six goals to two.

Yarragon coach Stuart Edwards was busy picking up kicks across the backline.

Jarrod Kilday came under notice but Morwell East proved stronger across half-forward.

Paul Henry and Jarrod Lont were playing well as the East angled the ball well into the breeze.

Steve Tobin Junior was proving a headache for the Yarragon defenders, but it was again a competitive second quarter with little between the two sides.

After the main change the wind died somewhat which levelled out the match and each team had to fight hard for goals.

The East was attacking more but couldn’t convert its efforts on the scoreboard and posted a poor 3.7 (25) to Yarragon’s two straight.

The last quarter took a twist as Yarragon started to produce patches of brilliant football; players held their marks and kicked with accuracy, enabling the Panthers to send shockwaves through the East camp.

There was plenty of roar in the Panthers and they got within 12 points at one stage after booting 6.2 (38) but the East settled and hung on to add a couple of last minute goals.

Eventually the Hawks won 15.15 (105) to 13.4 (82).

Paul Henry and Tobin Jnr both kicked three for the East while Mann was superb with seven for the Panthers.

FOR three quarters Trafalgar made Newborough work hard to score goals before the Doggies surged to a big victory.

The Dogs led by more than eight goals at three-quarter-time despite spirited opposition from Trafalgar but decided to do some record chasing in the final term.

With only 141 points to better their old record against Trafalgar, set in 2000, the Dogs set about smashing that mark.

At the 16th minute they had bettered 141 points and with 12 minutes to play Newborough upped the ante and created a record that will stand for many years to come.

The Dogs booted 14.1 (85) in an amazing quarter of football to finish with 26.13 (169) to Trafalgar’s 5.3 (33).

Michael Gelagotis was in for his first senior match and bagged eight goals but was only named fifth best in a true team effort.

Newborough’s best players were Josh Pearce, Josh Hecker and Anthony Rosato.

For Trafalgar Jamie Hines, Harrison Malady and Tyson Leys battled hard.

THE breeze played havoc at Thorpdale as players had to contest with a cold crosswind that made scoring difficult.

Both the Blues and Yallourn-Yallourn North found the conditions difficult and with only a goal apiece in the first quarter fans were in for a low scoring, scrappy match.

YYN did better in the second but was under pressure from a feisty Thorpdale side and led by just 11 points at half-time.

Thorpdale had blanketed star forward Dean MacDonald and kept the goalsmith down to two majors.

YYN was well under pressure in the third but had difficulty converting good play on the scoreboard.

The Bombers rattled around, had most of the play but received little reward on the scoreboard for their efforts and managed 2.7 (19) for the term to Thorpdale’s 1.3 (9).

With the game virtually over YYN added 5.4 (34) in the final term to one point to win 12.20 (92) to 5.8 (38).

Tim Phillips bagged three for the Bombers with Darcy Shellcott, Tyler Brown and Lachlan Little named best.

For Thorpdale Kayne O’Connell, Nick Fairbank and Mitch Gorman were selected as the three best players.

MIRBOO North extended its winning streak to six matches over Boolarra in a scrappy encounter for the George Lewis Memorial trophy.

The Tigers, firmly entrenched in third position, were below their best as Boolarra pulled out all stops for a competitive match.

Although the scoreboard reflected a Mirboo North win it didn’t show the effort that Boolarra put in as the Demons kept the Tigers on a tight leash.

The final margin was less than 20 points but Mirboo North showed it was a worthy contender this season.

Boolarra showed a noteworthy improvement since its last meeting, but Mirboo North won the match 10.9 (69) to 7.10 (52).

Riley Oddy was in his best form for the year and bagged five as Mirboo North came to terms to find a true full-forward.

Boolarra’s best effort was from Matt Coutts with three goals.

HILL End opened up in a blaze of glory but could not finish the job against Yinnar.

Aided by a strong breeze the Hillmen excelled and put on a 5.3 (33) to 2.4 (16) first quarter.

The spirit died in the second when they were held scoreless and were barely able to get into their forward 50 zone as Yinnar and the breeze took over.

The Magpies applied themselves and Tim Aitken, back in the side, made his presence known with strong bullocking play.

Yinnar blasted away at goals and finished the quarter with a creditable 6.8 (42).

Jaime Aitken was again the Magpie mainstay and did himself no harm in the Elder-Berwick count, which he could be on track for after a standout season.

A third quarter freeze by Hill End, which yielded just three behinds, left it too far behind to be a real challenge to Yinnar.

The last term was a good shootout with four goals apiece as Hill End showed it still had some petrol in the tank, but Yinnar finished too strong to win 14.9 (103) to 9.6 (60).

Jacob Mowat top scored with four for Yinnar while Hill End’s Isaac Ketchen also bagged four.