Cougars pounce on Pies



Very little separated Glengarry and Churchill in the opening round of North Gippsland football, but the Cougars were able to come out on top and record a 17-point victory.

In the see-sawing match the Magpies were in control in the first half, but barely, leading by 15 points.

The Cougars turned up the heat in the third quarter piling on five goals to one an taking the lead by nine points.

It was goal-for-goal in the deciding quarter as Churchill held on for the four points, winning 14.16 (100) to 11.17 (83).

Cougars captain-coach Brendon Holt was a standout with six goals with Travis Brighton names best for Churchill.

For the home team, Chris Wangman marked five goals to his name and was among the best with Dean Brooks named Glengarry’s man of the match.

Gormandale limited its losses for about a quarter against Cowwarr before the Saints got their engine humming and steamrolled over the top of the Tigers.

Cowwarr opened its first term with six goals to three, opening up a 20-point going into the first break and continued to pile on the pain in every other quarter

Gormandale failed to register a point in the second term as the Saints slotted home five goals of their own, pushing the lead out to 59 points.

The Tigers showed some spirit in the third quarter with one goal to Cowwarr’s three.

But again Gormandale failed to register a goal in the final quart as the Saints kicked eight to record a comprehensive 131-point victory, 22.29 (161) to 4.6 (30).

Bradley Mcbride was a standout in front of the stick with six goals on a day when the visitors listed 12 goal scorers.

Heyfield tasted revenge on Saturday after defeating last year’s grand final opponent Sale City by 59 points.

After the bitter loss of last year’s grand final against the Bulldogs, Heyfield entered the opening round match with something to prove.

Heyfield started on the right foot with three goals to one and when was never troubled for the remainder of the game.

The Roos caused the most trouble in the second stanza with six unanswered goals and never looked back.

Sale City could only add three more goals to its tally in the second half in a disappointing performance.

The final score was Heyfield 13.17 (95) to Sale City’s 4.12 (36).

Jordan Stubbe could do little wrong in a pulverising performance for the Roos, slotting home seven goals and bagging best on ground honours.

Woodside got its 2017 campaign off on the right foot with a comprehensive 53-point victory against Rosedale.

The game was a delight for the crowd who witnessed Brad Caldwell boot six goals for the Blues and David Mckean five for the Wildcats.

A five-goal-to-two opening term set Woodside on its way and was never really tested for the remained of the match.

The margin continued to grow as the game wore on, with the Wildcats winning 17.10 (112) to 9.5 (59).

Thomas Crosby was named Woodside’s best while Dale Fleming was Rosedale’s number one player on the day.

Traralgon Tyers United started will but could not hold Yarram at bay as Demons overpowered the Bombers to win by 21 points.

TTU held a one-goal lead at the first quarter and extended it to 10 points by half-time, however a different Yarram showed up in the second half to ruin the Bombers’ day.

The Demons slotted home five goals to three in the third term to take a slim four-point lead into the final term.

Another five goals in the fourth quarter ensured the four points for Yarram, winning 11.17 (83) to 8.14 (62).

Daniel Vardy was the Demons’ best and Corbin Suterhland was top top goal scorer with four.

For the Bombers, Dalton Tripodi was the standout.