Lawrence nets four in wolf pack hunt



A first-half hat-trick from Ethan Lawrence led Monash to a 5-0 win over East Gippsland in the third round of the Latrobe Valley Soccer League.

It was less than two minutes into the game when Lawrence grabbed the opener, prodding brother Shawn’s through ball past the keeper.

It was soon 2-0 when Lawrence added to his brace against Trafalgar in round one.

Monash survived a scare with goalkeeper Leon Cook saved from the spot after a dubious handball decision.

On the half-hour Lawrence had his hat-trick, before Marcus Krznaric tapped home before the break.

The Eagles tightened up in the second-half, but not before Lawrence grabbed a fourth goal for the day, flicking home from Ruddell’s corner and ending the game 5-0.

Luke Cheney gave Fortuna 60 the lead early and it stayed that way until just after half-time when Sale equalised.

Fortuna went ahead for a second time at 70 minutes but was again hauled down four minutes later and then watched the match slip away 60 seconds after that, going down 3-2.

Clinical play all game saw Newborough Yallourn United walk away with a 3-0 win thanks to solid possession and Churchill’s speculative long clearances.

Joel Pirotta got the first mid-way through the opener with a deft strike from outside the 18 yard box.

NYU then went two-up as skipper Jayden Mathison rose above the pack and turned in a classy header off a corner. The win was sealed with 10 minutes left following a long, loping run into the box by Pirotta ended in a Combine penalty after a poor professional foul. Mark Fairbrother converted from the spot.

Falcons 2000 looked the team to beat in early going and Sunday’s game against Moe United further cemented that reputation.

The Birds are on a three-game winning streak but there should be a few concerns coming out of the 2-1 win.

The baby Red Devils gave away a two-goal lead last week and are yet to register a win but pushed the battle-hardened Birds.

Falcons scored in the first and then doubled up early in the second before Moe broke back mid-way.

The goal gave the Red Devils a sniff and they pushed hard to go on with it and tried to get at least a point, but it wasn’t to be.

Victory continue working hard to shake the easy beat tag with a second win in a row, this time downing Tyers Lighting by a goal.

Traf now sit 2-1 for the season and in fifth place on the ladder.

They took the lead at 20 minutes from a Joshua Pareles score.

The game then went back and forth until all hell broke lose at 60 minutes.

Lighting’s Budd Tanner put home his first for the day, then Victory snapped back thanks to Anthony Bossa three minutes later.

Not to be out done, Tanner evened up again at the 73 minute mark.

But the game was bookended by Pareles who secured the victory for Victory with four minutes left in regulation.

Tyers Lightning 2, not enough to get over Trafalgar Victory, 3.

Traralgon City hosted and came out on top in the first Traralgon derby of 2017, winning 4-2.

The hosts opened the scoring against Olympians 60 seconds in via Corey O’Shea and added a second nine minutes later thanks to Alex Leckey.

Olympians took their time hitting back, but when they did it was with force thanks to Alradi Ali on 50 minutes, followed by Ryan Smith with 10 to go. Not to be out done Jake Budiqa took control of the game seconds after the restart and added insurance just before injury time.