Solid results for Gippsland FC

Rising high: Ronald Kong heads the ball for Gippsland FC against Mornington at the weekend. photograph supplied



GIPPSLAND FC had their first game of the National Premier Leagues season on the weekend.

The opening match saw a similar result to those suffered in the qualifying rounds with Gippsland going down 4-1 to Kingston City.
Kingston had done their homework on GFC, they were quick to lockdown Gippsland’s potential match winners and engaged in a very assertive game plan.
Kingston scored in the second minute of the match with a decisive goal.
Gippsland managed to hold sway through the rest of the first half, however Kingston remained in the ascendency.
After a few positional moves at half-time, it was hoped the Gippsland boys would show a bit more fight, however Kingston held firm, piling on three more goals in the half.
Henry Wynne was able to grab a consolation goal for Gippsland near the end of the match.
Not the start to the regular season Gippsland wanted, there will be plenty of soul search at Latrobe City Stadium this week at training.
Angus Dempsey was the GFC player of the match, working hard at left back, Luca Dicorleto persevered, as did Hamish Gleeson in midfield.
Noah Jackson and Spencer Boughton brought more fight to the backline in the second half.

Gippsland’s Under-16 team travelled to Mornington.
Without a win and having drawn with Mornington in the pre-qualification rounds, the boys were determined to begin the season on a positive note.
Both teams had numerous shots on goal in the first-half, without any going into the back of the net.
To win the boys would need to work hard for the entire 80 minutes. GFC began to control the play in the second-half.
They worked hard to chase the ball and defended fiercely.
Abraham Konyi and Levi Colantuono controlled the ball through the centre, while Brodie Neave locked down Mornington’s key forward. Harry Humphreys made runs forward to receive the ball on several occasions.
In the 75th minute, Brody Demagistris passed the ball to Lucus Vick, who then put it in the box for Harry Humphreys to tap in.
Gippsland took home the three points, winning 1-0.

The Under-18 boys made the journey down the M1 to take on Kingston City.
Gippsland started brightly, but the home side withstood the early challenge and started to gain control of the game, hitting the upright three times in quick succession.
Those warnings weren’t heeded and soon after the home team scored two quality goals as Gippsland FC started to struggle with the pressure.
Half-time couldn’t have come soon enough for Gippsland FC as it gave them time to regroup.
Brodyn Taylor was working hard as was Campbell Dastey, but the Gippsland FC team were caught out on the break as the home team scored their third.
Harry Tosch battled his way through a number of defenders to pull a goal back, giving Gippsland FC some hope.
But it was the lone highlight as Kingston City added three more goals to score a commanding 6-1 win.