North Gippsland Football League ladder



North Gippsland Ladder leader Rosedale got the better of Heyfield to win by 27 points in a low scoring affair.

The Kangaroos’ final ambitions were at stake and had the most to play for in what could be described as an eight-point contest.

Meeting a fellow finals contender for the third consecutive week, the contest would test Heyfield’s resolve who demonstrated early on it would not go quietly.

Rosedale’s Nathan Flint broke the deadlock with the first goal of the contest.

Flint’s goal was followed by another from Brandon McDonald as the Blues began to take control.

Heyfield’s Jesse Jackway put the home side on the board ahead of quarter time, as Rosedale entered the break seven points ahead.

James Beha’s goal drew Heyfield closer to Rosedale and this was followed by consecutive behinds as the Kangaroos’ forwards worked hard to create opportunities.

Rosedale playing coach Ben Macreadie broke through to register his first before Heyfield’s Josh Stubbe responded to make it a four-point ball game.

The Blues kicked things off in the second half with the first major in blustery conditions, before scoring dried up in a low scoring, physical premiership term.

With the contest in the balance, McDonald drew the margin out to one of the largest of the match – three goals – followed by a major to Jack Tatterson, which appeared to kill the contest.

But the Kangaroos kept coming.

Wayne Knight broke through with Heyfield’s first goal in more than 40 minutes to reel the margin in to 16 points.

However, late majors to McDonald and Brad Caldwell ensured the win for Rosedale.

Rosedale’s Rohan Diamond swooped on the loose ball time and time again and Luke Stuckey also made his impact felt.

Adam Diamond and James Hammill were among the Blues’ best.

For Heyfield, Nick Dinsdale toiled hard, Andrew Lambie was dogged in defence while Josh Stubbe ran hard all day.

Churchill v Gormandale

CHURCHILL skipped away early in its match against Gormandale before the Cougars found themselves with a contest on their hands.

The Tigers were held goalless in the opening term with coach Luke Henderson letting his players know of his displeasure at the first change.

“We knew if we turned up and played our best footy that we were going to be really, really competitive,” Henderson said.

“I was really proud of the way the boys responded.”

With their backs against the wall the Tigers responded, kicking 6.7 (43) to 2.4 (16) in the second term.

Gormandale registered the first goal of the premiership term, stringing together seven of the last nine majors.

Defender turned forward Jordon Sandy slotted through one of his two for the contest.

Tim Finch was the recipient of a double 50-metre penalty and scored from dead in front following an indiscretion by Churchill ruckman Dillon Leys.

Gormandale’s Sam Marks slotted through the first for the visitors in the final quarter before Brendan Holt added his third and the momentum swung the way of the reining premiers.

A final major was scored as the clock counted down on an enthralling contest.

Sale City v Woodside

An eight-goal-to-nil opening term was not the start Woodside had hoped for in its clash against a rebounding Sale City.

Inspired by dynamic full-forward Jake Schuback, who scored seven goals, the second-placed Dogs took control of the game.

The Wildcats registered their only goal of the game through Corey Kee.

City boasted 11 individual goal scorers.

There was no respite in the second half for the Wildcats whose backline was constantly under siege.

City added 12.22 (94) to 0.1 (1) on its way to a 181-point trouncing.

David Piasente won clearance after clearance having been the recipient of Harry Kaadndorp’s ruck taps.

Abe Schuback and Milham demonstrated their flair around the contests with Mitch Evans lively.

Glengarry v Yarram

YARRAM climbed back into fourth positon following a comprehensive 20.25 (145) to 5.9 (39) win against Glengarry.

Little separated the sides on the scoreboard in the opening term before the Demons got the better of their lesser-ranked opponents, kicking away with a seven-goal-to-one second stanza.

Ryan Underwood (four goals), Jake Liversidge (three) and Corbin Sutherland (three) featured prominently in the forward line.

The Demons led by 53 points at the long change, but struggled to convert in the premiership term.

While Yarram had its chances it had to settle for two majors from eight scoring shots before coming home with a wet sail in the fourth.

Yarram’s Trek Davis was a standout, Grif Underwood continues to demonstrate why he is one of the elite midfielders of the competition, while Jake Anderson and Louis Rodaughan where among the votes.

For the Magpies, Michael Diaz was the only multiple goal scorer with two, while Chris Wangman was named best on ground.

Cowwarr v Traralgon Tyers United

Traralgon Tyers United was forced to work hard for the points against Cowwarr.

The Saints led by four points at the first change before the Bombers turned the tables to lead by five points ahead of half-time.

The honours went the way of the Saints in the third term, kicking four goals to three; however a string of behinds to the visitors placed them within two points at the final change.

Going into the contest in third position and one game clear of their nearest rivals, the prized double chance was on the line for the Bombers.

They found another gear as the Saints struggled to match their opponents run and drive in the dying stages.

TTU slammed home four-goals-to one to register a hard-fought 14-point victory, 11.10 (76) to 9.8 (62).