Magpies hold sway against Saints

Spectators were treated to a finals-like contest between Glengarry and Cowwarr, the Magpies emerging 48-point victors.

The Magpies kicked four unanswered goals in the opening term, starting with a Josh King major in the first minute.

The match was physically intense, with Glengarry coach Ryan Potter feeling the might of a knock from big Saint Paul Joyce.

Cowwarr’s first came 20 minutes into the term through Mick McNulty, leaving the Saints trailing by 23 points at the first change.

Saint Matt Cameron slotted through the opening goal of the second term, following a strong tackle on defender Anthony McMahon in a stellar piece of play.

King got the response for the Magpies, which was followed by a further two unanswered majors and the Saints again found themselves out of the contest.

The Saints had their opportunities with Shane Morgan and Cameron missing majors, before a captain’s goal from Luke Cooper at the 17-minute mark settled the side ahead of half time.

Brad McBride had the Saints’ first for the third term before the Magpies added a quick three to their tally.

Goals to Morgan and McNulty got the Saints to within 30 points, before an undisciplined piece of play saw Matt Royal flattened off the ball following his shot at goal with the resulting free kick leading to a Magpies goal.

The Mapgies extended their lead to 58 at the final siren, 16.8 (104) to 8.8 (56).

The most absorbing duel of the game was the battle between King and Morgan, who found himself playing in different positions throughout the match as he looked to create a spark for the visitors.

Saints midfielder Cooper provided plenty of physical presence, leading from the front to be named among their best players.

Joyce won the battle in the ruck, with a lion-hearted performance in which he rucked all day against the rotating Trevor May and Aaron Winkler.

McBride had a dominant game up forward for the Saints, kicking two majors while setting up a number of opportunities; however, the Saints sorely missed Chris Stasinowsky’s presence.

Traralgon Tyers United v Rosedale

The Blues proved why they will be hard to beat come September, coming from behind to beat Traralgon Tyers United 17.14 (116) to 11.11 (77).

Little separated the two sides all day, with the visitors going into the first change of ends holding a small lead before the Bombers outscored the Blues five-goals-to-two in a strong second term.

Leading by seven points at the main change, it was the Blues that came out strongly, turning a seven point defecit into a 10-point lead at the final change.

Led by the experienced trio of ruckman Jon Cantwell, forward Brad Caldwell and captain Chris King, the Blues were sublime in the final term booting 7.3 (45) to 2.14 (16).

Churchill v Gormandale

Churchill’s Brendan Holt had an incredible return from injury, kicking six goals in the Cougars’ 110-point thumping of Gormandale.

Little separated the two sides in the early stages before the Cougars clicked into gear.

It was all one way traffic in the third term as the Tigers struggled to maintain their intensity and led by Dean Jenkins in a stellar performance, the home side slammed on 14.5 (89) to 2.4 (16) after the main change.

The percentage-boosting win elevated the Cougars to sixth position on the premiership ladder standings, just one game out of the top five.

Sale City v Woodside

There was little Woodside could do to stop Sale City during its 24-goal second half, the Dogs going on to win 35.12 (222) to 3.3 (21).

Despite missing a number of key players including captain Beau Wilson, Abe Schuback, Jake Schuback and Jake Milham, the Dogs were helped to their massive score by new recruit Sean McGrath (11) and Mitchell Evans (10).

Bursting out of the blocks with a seven-goal-to-nil opening quarter, the going did not get any easier for the winless Wildcats who fought admirably to halt the Dogs’ run and drive around the ground.

Boisdale/Briagolong v Heyfield

Heyfield had little trouble clocking up its ninth win of the season following a 22-goal hiding of Boisdale/Briagolong.

A 13-goal opening half for the Kangaroos put them 66 points ahead at the main break, and their momentum continued as they added a further 17 goals in the second half.

Josh Neille was named best on ground for the Kangaroos’ and Jesse Bedggood and Nic Dinsdale were valuable contributors.

Matt Millar was the pick of the goal kickers finishing the match with seven.